- Ph.D., Mechanical Design and Theory, Tsinghua University, China, 2001
- M.S., Mechanology, Tsinghua University, China, 1994
- B.S., Mechanical Design and Manufacturing, Tsinghua University, China, 1992
- 07/2016 - present Associate Dean and Professor, School of Engineering and Computer Science, Oakland University
- 08/2014 - 06/2016 Interim Associate Dean and Professor, School of Engineering and Computer Science, Oakland University
- 08/2008 - 07/2014 Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Oakland University
- 08/2002 - 07/2008 Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Oakland University
- 01/2002 - 06/2002 Visiting Instructor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Oakland University
- 08/1996 - 12/2001 Lecturer, National Tribology Laboratory, Department of Precision Instruments and Mechanology, Tsinghua University, China.
- 08/1994 - 07/1996 Assistant Professor, National Tribology Laboratory, Department of Precision Instruments and Mechanology, Tsinghua University, China.
Awards, Honors, Memberships
- Member of ASME, STLE, SME, Sigma Xi and Tau Beta Pi
- Reviewer of STLE Tribology Transactions, ASME Transactions, Journal of Tribology, Tribology Letters, Surface and Interface Analysis, Applied Surface Science, Smart Materials and Structures, ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power Engines, ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition, World Congress Conference of Society of Automotive Engineers, ASME/STLE International Joint Tribology Conference and ASME Internal Combustion Engine Division Technical Conference.
- New Investigator Research Excellence Award, Oakland University, 2006.
- Oakland University Research Fellowship, 2003, 2006.
- National Science Foundation fellowship to the NSF Summer Institute on Nano Mechanics and Materials, 2003.
- Achievements in Scientific Research Spread (Third Class), from Tsinghua University, 1999.
- National Award for Achievement in Technology Invention (Third Class), from the Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology, 1996.
- Great Achievement in Science & Technology Award (First Class), from the Chinese Ministry of Education, 1996.
- Friends of Tsinghua - Prize for Excellent Teachers (Second Class), 1995 and 1996.
- Best Paper Award, Chinese Mechanical Engineering Society, 1995.
- L. Gara, Q. Zou, B. P. Sangeorzan, G. C. Barber, H. E. McCpormick, M. H. Mekari, “Wear Measurement of the Cylinder Liner of a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine Using a Replication Method”, Wear, 268(3-4), pp. 558-564, 2010.
- Z. Xie, Q. Zou, D. Yao, “Design and Verification of the Pressure-Driven Radial Flow Microrheometer”, Tribology Transactions, Vol. 51, No. 4, 396-402, 2008.
- L. Guessous, G. C. Barber, Q. Zou, S. A. Nassar, “A Numerical Investigation of Bolt Underhead Temperature Evolution Under Various Fastening Conditions”, Tribology Transactions, Vol. 51, No. 4, p494-503, 2008.
- W. Zhang, E. Becker, Y. Wang, Q. Zou, B. Zhou, G.C. Barber, “Investigation of Scuffing Resistance of Piston Rings Run Against Piston Ring Grooves”, Tribology Transactions, Vol. 51, N0.5, p621-626, 2008. (This paper has been selected as the Editor’s Choice and re-printed in Tribology and Lubrication Technology, Vol.65, No.2, p48-53, February 2009)
- P. Lin, G. C. Barber, Q. Zou, A. Anderson, S. C. Tung, A. Quintana, “Friction and Wear of Low-Phosphorus Engine Oils with Additional Molybdenum and Boron Compounds, Measured on a Reciprocating Lubricant Tester”, Tribology Transactions, Vol. 51, No. 5 659-672, 2008.
- P.S. Gupte, Y. Wang, W. Miller, G.C. Barber, C. Yao, B. Zhou, Q. Zou, “A Study of Torn and Folded Metal (TFM) on Honed Cylinder Bore Surfaces”, Tribology Transactions, Vol. 51, No. 6, p784-789, 2008
- M. Barber, T. S. Sun, E. Petrach, X. Wang, Q. Zou, “Contact mechanics approach to determine contact surface area between bipolar plates and current collector in proton exchange membrane fuel cells”, Journal of Power Sources, Vol. 185, No. 2, p 1252-1256, 2008.
- Q. Zou, T. S. Sun, S. A. Nassar, G. C. Barber, A. K. Gumul, "Effect of Lubrication on Friction and Torque-Tension Relationship in Threaded Fasteners", STLE Tribology Transactions, Vol. 50, No.1, p127-136, 2007.
- E. A. Liu, Y. Yuan, J. Hill, Q. Zou, “Process Independent Machining Simulation – A Bar Turning Approach”, Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Systems, Vol. 6, Issue 1 p5 – 19, 2007.
- Y. Yuan, ,W. Tao, E. A. Liu, G. C. Barber, Q. Zou, L. Guessous and Z. Du, “Engine Lubrication System Analysis by Considering Aeration and Cavitation within the Rotating Oil Supply Passage”, STLE Tribology Transactions, Vol. 50, No.1, p39-49, 2007.
- Y. Yuan, E. A. Liu, J. Hill, Q. Zou, “An Improved Hydrodynamic Model for Open Wet Transmission Clutches”, ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol.129, N0.3, p.333-337, 2007.
Selected Sponsored Research
- “Automotive Tribology Center”, U.S. Army, TARDEC, co-PI, (PI: Gary Barber), $1,426,933 (2010).
- “REU Site: Automotive and Energy Research and Industrial Mentorship (AERIM) Program at Oakland University”, co-PI, (PI: Laila Guessous), National Science Foundation, $343,496 (2010-2012).
- “IRES: Collaborative Research Activities with China on Fluid and Thermal Transport in Fuel Cells”, National Science Foundation, co-PI, (PI: Xia Wang), $149,290 (2010-2012)
- “Investigation of the Friction and Wear Behavior of Current and Future Engine Oils”, PI, Chevron Oronite Company LLC, $40,000 (2007-2008).
- “Test System Development for Piston Wrist Pin against Pin Bore”, PI, General Motors, $61,500 (Phase I: 2006-2007, Phase II: 2007-2008).
- “Investigation of the Friction Characteristics of Clutch Plate Materials”, PI, General Motors, $32,000 (2007-2008).
- “Automotive Tribology Consortium”, PI, General Motors, $20,000 (2007).
- “REU: Automotive Research and Industrial Mentorship Program at Oakland University”, co-PI, (PI: Laila Guessous), National Science Foundation, $233,375 (2006-2008).