- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, Wayne State University, Detroit MI, August 1989.
- MS, Mechanical Engineering, Wayne State University, December 1985.
- BS, Mechanical Engineering, Wayne State University, May 1981. With distinction.
- September 1993 to present - Associate Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Oakland University, Rochester MI 48309. Research interests: Modeling of multi-body dynamic systems; structural, numerical and viscothermal acoustics; vibrations; computational mechanics; machine design; numerical methods. Courses taught: CADrafting; statics; dynamics; vibrations; mechanics of materials; machine design, numerical methods.
- February 2001 to November 2001 - Acting Associate Dean, SECS, Oakland University
- Summer 1992-95, 1997, 1999 - U.S. Army Summer Faculty Research Engineer, Tank-Automotive Command, Warren, MI.
- August 1986 to August 1993 - Assistant Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Oakland University.
- May 1981 to August 1986 - Wayne State University Fellow; Instructor, Teaching and Research Assistant, Department of Mechanical Engineering; Wayne State University, Detroit MI.
Awards, Honors, Memberships
- Member, American Society of Engineering Education
- Member, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Reviewer, ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics
- Member, Tau Beta Pi, National Engineering Honor Society
- Honorary Graduate Member, Pi Tau Sigma, ME Honor Society
- Withrow Award for Teaching Excellence, OU, 1998
- Engineering Student-Faculty Award for Teaching Excellence, WSU, 1982,83
- Michigan FE/EIT Exam, 1988
Selected Publications and Presentations
- Kuczera, R., Morelatos, Z., Nikolaidis, E., Latcha, M., "An RBDO Method for Multiple Failure Region Problems using Probabilistic Reanalysis and Approximate Metamodels." 2009 SAE World Congress
- Latcha, M.A., Debnath, D., Elhajj, I., Gu, E., Haskell, R.E., "Melting-Pot Design at Oakland University," Proceedings of the National Senior Design Conference, Boulder, CO, June 2007
- Morelatos, Z., Kuczera, R., Latcha, M., "An Efficient Monte Carlo Reliability Analysis using Local Metamodels", 11th AIAA/ISSMO Multidisciplinary Analysis and Optimization Conference, 2006
- Latcha, M.A., Ganesan, S., Gu, E., Haskell, R.E., "The Melting Pot Approach to Senior Design Part II: Assessment and Improvement," Proceedings of the 2005 ASEE North Central Conference
- Latcha, M.A., Ganesan, S., Gu, E., Haskell, R.E., "The Melting Pot Approach to Senior Design," Proceedings of the 2004 ASEE North Central Conference
- Latcha, M., Oakley, B., 2001, “Toying with a Capstone Design Course,” Journal of Engineering Education, Vol. 90, No. 4, pp. 627-629
- Siavoshani, Saeed, J., and Latcha, Michael A., “Basic Analytical Modeling of the Piston Slap in Conjunction with Engine Block Vibration”, NCA-Vol. 26, Proceedings of the ASME Noise Control and Acoustics Division, pp. 185-193 (1999).
- Oakley, B., Latcha, M., Kobus, C., Wright, F., Grim, P., 1999, "A Self-Contained Variable-Pressure Hydrostatic Cell for Use in Electromagnetic and Photoacoustic Studies," Review of Scientific Instruments, V70, No. 1, pp.95-97.
- Latcha, M.A. and Jordan, W., 1996, "Using Statistics in Engineering Ethics Decision Making: A Case Study," Proceedings of the ASEE Gulf-Southwest Section 1996 Annual Conference, San Antonio TX, March 27-29, 1996, pp. 657-662
- Latcha, M.A. and Hovanesian, J.D., 1993, "Links Between the Factor-of-Safety and the Reliability Methods of Design," The International Journal of Mechanical Engineering Education, Vol. 21, No. 4, pp. 309-315.
- Latcha, M.A. and Akay, A., 1992, "Effects of Viscous and Thermal Losses on Radiation from an Infinite Plate," ASME Journal of Vibration and Acoustics, Vol. 114, pp. 415-419.
- Latcha, M.A. and Akay, A., 1986, "Application of the Helmholtz Integral in Acoustics," ASME Journal of Vibration, Acoustics, Stress and Reliability in Design, Vol. 108, pp. 447-453.
- Akay, A., Tokunaga, M., and Latcha, M., 1984, "A Theoretical Analysis of Transient Sound Radiation from a Clamped Circular Plate," ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics, Vol. 51, pp. 41-47.
- Akay, A. and Latcha, M., 1983, "Sound Radiation from an Impact-Excited Clamped Circular Plate in an Infinite Baffle," Journal of the Acoustical Society of America, Vol. 74, pp. 640-648.
- Akay, A., Bengisu, M.T. and Latcha, M., 1983, "Transient Acoustic Radiation from Impacted Beam-Like Structures," Journal of Sound and Vibration, Vol. 91(1), pp. 135-145.
Selected Sponsored Research
- National Science Foundation CCLI Program, 2001-2003, "Robotic Assembly Cell," R.P. Van Til - PI, S. Sengupta, R.J. Srodawa and M.A. Latcha, Grant #DUE-0087984, $53,859; In-kind equipment grant, Kuka KR3 robotic manipulator (with S. Sengupta, R.J. Srodawa and M.A. Latcha), Kuka Development Laboratories, $34,779.
- Games and Toys Design Competition, Random Games and Toys, 1998, $5,000, PI. Barbara Oakley, co-PI.
- National Science Foundation, October 1, 1996 - September 30, 2000, "Development of High Speed Shearographic Instrument for Measuring Time-Dependent Deformation," Y.Y. Hung, J.D. Hovanesian, Y.L. Gu, M. A. Latcha, and S. Vishnubhotla, $214,000.
- U.S. Army Tank-Automotive Command/Battelle Scientific Services, September 1, 1996 - May 24, 1997, "Object-Oriented Approach to the Modeling and Simulation of Multibody Dynamic Systems," $30,000.
- Michigan Space Grant Consortium, July 1, 1996 - June 30, 1997, "Photoacoustic Spectroscopy as a Non-Invasive Method of Pressure Measurement," $8,000.
- U.S. Army Tank-Automotive Command/Battelle Scientific Services, February 1, 1995 - May 26, 1995, "Development and Documentation of a Symbolically Optimized Vechicle Analysis System," $29,740.
- U.S. Army Tank-Automotive Command/Battelle Scientific Services, February 1, 1993 - May 31, 1993, "Development of a General Numerical Technique for Acoustic Radiation and Scattering," $19,392.