|Manohar Das, Ph.D.|
Electrical and Computer Engineering Department
424 EC; (248) 370-2237 ; Fax: (248) 370-4633
Ph.D. (Colorado State University, 1984)
Member of IEEE, Eta Kappa Nu, Sigma Xi.
AREAS OF RESEARCH INTEREST
Adaptive Signal Processing and Control, System Modeling and System Identification, Digital Signal and Image Processing, Data Compression, Pattern Recognition.
Author/co-author of more than 135 technical articles published in various journals and conference proceedings. Selected recent publications:
- Edward Y-L Gu and Manohar Das, Backstepping Control Design for Vehicle Active Restraint Systems, ASME Journal of Dynamic Systems Measurement and Control, 2013.
- Arab AlSharif and Manohar Das, A Time-varying Transfer Function Model for Modeling the Charging Process of a Lithium-ion Battery, Proceedings of 2013 IEEE EnergyTech Conference, 2013.
- Sumera I. Chaudhry and Manohar Das, Adaptive Control of Indoor Temperature in a Building Using a Desirable Reference Temperature Profile, Proceedings of 56th IEEE International Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 2013.
- Gurunath Kedar-Dongarkar and Manohar Das, Vehicle Parameter Estimation Using Nested RLS Algortihm, Proceedings of IEEE 56th International Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, 2013.
- Gurunath Kedar-Dongarkar and Manohar Das, Driver Classification for Optimization of Energy Usage in a Vehicle, Proceedings of Conference on Systems Engineering Research (CSER), 2012.
- US Patent No. US8445809 B2 (Issued on May 21, 2013). Title: Method and apparatus for resistance spot welding. Inventors: Vernon Fernandez, Manohar Das, Gerald Grzadzinski
- US Patent No. US7244905 B2 (Issued on July 17, 2007).Title: Method For Estimating Nugget Diameter And Weld Parameters. Inventors: Manohar Das, Vernon Fernandez, James Strausbaugh, and Gerald Grzadzinski.
- US Patent No. US6130956 B2 (Issued on October 10, 2000).Title: Continuous Microbiotal Recognition Method. Inventors: Francis M. Butterworth and Manohar Das.
- US Patent Application, Publication no. US20130186868 A1, Jul 25, 2013. Title: System and method for performing resistance spot welding. Inventors: Manohar Das, Vernon Fernandez, John Paille, Douglas P. Gouin.
- Modeling of Charging and Discharging Processes of Lithium Ion Batteries. The goal of this project is to develop time-varying transfer function models for Lithium Ion batteries. Such models are useful for real time prediction of charge/discharge time and state of health of a battery.
- Optimized Adaptive Control of Indoor Temperature in a Building. This goal of this project is to develop both linear and nonlinear adaptive control techniques for designing smart HVAC controllers for a building to significantly minimize its overall energy consumption, while maintaining the thermal comfort of its occupants. Such controllers are optimized to achieve a desired trade-off between cost of HVAC and comfort.
- Real Time Control of Resistance Spot Welds. The goal of this project is to develop nonlinear adaptive control techniques for resistance spot welding processes based on simplified thermal dynamic models.
- Predictive Learning Based Powertrain Optimization. The goal of this project is to develop algorithms for driver classification and route attributes estimation that are useful for optimizing the powertrain of a hybrid vehicle. A smart powertrain, if so equipped, is expected to optimize both fuel economy and reduce emissions along a route.
SOME PAST RESEARCH PROJECTS
- Real Time Monitoring and Control of Resistance Spot Welds
- Robust Techniques for Information Hiding in Images.
- Automated Detection and Classification of Water-Borne Microorganisms.
- Robust Techniques for Engine Misfire Detection.
- Image Data Compression
DOCTORAL DISSERTATIONS SUPERVISED
- Adaptive control of Indoor Temperature in a Building, Sumera I. Chaudhry, 2014.
- A New Hybrid Adaptive Predictive Technique for Data Compression, Radhakrishnan Swaminathan, 2012.
- Real Time Control of an Adaptive Vehicular Occupant Restraint System Using Intelligent Control Techniques, Mohannad Murad, 2009.
- New techniques for Image De-noising, Thresholding, Object Detection and their Application to Vision Based Collision Avoidance System, Yixin Chen, 2008.
- Adaptive Modeling in Lossless Image Compression, Abdul Rahman Itani, 2005.
- Robust Algorithms for Engine Misfire Detection, Abedulah Alkhateeb, 2004.
- Identification of Waterborne Microorganisms Using Motion Characteristics, Devendra Bajpai, 2003.
- High Capacity Information Hiding in Images, Johann Briffa, 2003.
- A Mixture Modeling Approach to Engine Misfire Detection, Nashat Kamal Abdel Jalil, 2002.
- Classification of Spot Welds from a Linear Time-Varying Model of the Resistance Signature, Frank Garza, 2001.
- New Adaptive and Optimal Control Strategies for Active Noise Cancellation in a One-Dimensional Acoustic Duct, Ananth Krishnan, 2001.
- The Classification and Detection of Anomalies in Digitally Sampled Dynamic Data, Thomas Hunt, 2000.
- New Multipulse Excitation Method for the Modeling, Coding and Synthesis of Automotive Acoustic Events, Scott Amman, 1997.
- Techniques for the Detection of Changes in Noisy Signals with Application to Fault Detection in Dynamic Systems, Anthony Cooprider, 1997.
- Image Restoration and Compression Using Two- Dimensional Predictive Models, Jayraman Anand, 1997.
- Lossless and Near-Lossless Compression of Digitized Images, Chi-Dar Lin, 1996.
- Multiresolution Autoregressive Models for Image Compression, Shape Classification, and Texture Synthesis. Chia Che Li, 1995.
- New Approaches for Control of Slowly Varying Systems, Pradeep Y. Kokate, 1992. (Co-advised with Professor N. K. Loh)
- Predictive Image Coding Using Two-Dimensional Multiplicative Autoregressive Models, Scott R. Burgett, 1991.
- Analysis and Classification of Planar Shapes and Textures, Mark J. Paulik, 1989. (Co-advised with Professor N. K. Loh)