About the ESL Institute
Mission StatementThe mission of the Oakland University ESL Institute is to empower English learners to achieve academic and career goals, to recognize the interconnectedness among diverse cultures, and to contribute meaningfully to the increasingly globalized world.
Vision StatementEmpowering English learners to pursue dreams and contribute meaningfully to a world beyond their own.
Overview of New Program
- 6 sessions per calendar year (Beginning 2017/2018 academic year)
- 8-week semester
- Classes Monday through Friday
- Students may begin during semester I or II (e.g., Fall I or Fall II)
- 8 course levels
- Students are placed in to the appropriate level based on English proficiency test score (TOEFL, MELAB or IELTS) and the OU ESL placement test.
- Three required courses at each level
- Must earn a 2.5 GPA or higher to move to the next level
- Matriculation if accepted for an academic program
- Undergraduate students - completion of all required Level 7 courses with a 2.5 GPA or higher accepted as proof of English language proficiency per OU English Proficiency Policy
- Graduate students – completion of all Level 7 courses with a 3.6 GPA or higher OR, if did not pass all Level 7 courses with above a 3.6 GPA, must complete all Level 8 course with a 2.5 GPA or higher which will then be accepted as proof of English language proficiency per OU English Proficiency Policy (must submit English proficiency scores allowing for conditional admission to be eligible)
- 21 contact hours per week
- If beginning at Level 1, can complete all required ESL courses in 4 semesters (attending classes consecutive semesters with no vacation)
- Students are encouraged to become involved in campus activities.
- Instructors are available to encourage, help and support student learning.
- Free workshops and tutoring available