Finding Books in the ERL
- Click on Library Catalog in the right side, page menu on the Kresge Library homepage.
- Click on the Advanced tab.
- In the Location menu at the bottom, select Educational Resources Lab from the list.
- In the Search menu at the top, enter your terms.
- If your search requires more than one word, change any of these to all of these or as a phrase in the drop-down menu.
- Use the final menu to limit your search to a specific field (such as Title) if you wish
Finding Book Reviews
Using One Search
Using "Best Books for Children" - Book reviews (print only)
Looking for a book review for children’s literature?
Best Books for Children by John T. Gillespie
Call number: Ref Z 1037.G48
There are three editions: 1998, 2002, 2006
- Go to the Title Index of the book beginning on p. 1402 of the 2002 edition. (You can also look up books by author in the Author Index, and by subject in the subject index).
- Select a title.
- Note the number at the end of the title. This is a citation number NOT a page number. Each book listed is cited in numeric order within the book.
- Locate the title/author/subject by the citation number.
- At the end of the entry, in most cases, there will be initials that indicate a journal title. For example: SLJ = School Library Journal, BL = Book List, HBG = Horn Book Guide, BCCB = Bulletin of the Center for Children’s Books, etc. It will also give you the dates that the book was reviewed and grade levels.
- Go to the bound journal section of the ERL and locate the journal. They are in alphabetical order by title.
- Find the review and make a copy.
- You can also locate some of the journals online. For example: Horn Book Guide and School Library Journal.
Finding Journal Articles
Copyright and Fair Use Links
- ALA Copyright information and TEACH Act - Information about the Teach Act and other copyright issues from the American Library Association
- Copyright & Fair Use Resources - A vast website of resources regarding Copyright & Fair Use from Stanford University
- Library of Congress - Copyright and Primary Sources
- Copyright Law of the United States and Related laws Contained in Title 17 of the United States Code
- Fair Use Resources - Videos, Evaluators and more from the American Library Association
Something About the Author
Teaching with Technology (Organizations, Reports, Standards and more)
- ISTE - The International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE®) is the premier nonprofit organization serving educators and education leaders committed to empowering connected learners in a connected world.
- ISTE Standards - also known as National Educational Technology Standards (NETS) - a set of standards published by ISTE
- Michigan Education Technology Standards (2009)
- Michigan Department of Education Technology Readiness Resources - TechPlan.org
- National Education Technology Plan - The flagship educational technology policy document for the United States, including a link to download the 2016 Plan.
Understanding Dewey and Local Call Numbers