Master of Arts in Counseling
In order to prepare students for this difficult task, the master’s degree programs in counseling at Oakland University set forth curricula designed to foster both personal development and the acquisition of a broad range of knowledge and skills.
Initial courses introduce the theoretical and professional components of the field. Later courses emphasize research and clinical skills. In practicum and internship, students are supervised intensively as they apply their knowledge and skills in courses that use on-campus laboratory facilities and approved field training sites. Students select a degree in either mental health or school counseling.
- The Master of Arts Degrees in Counseling (Community and School) have been revised and updated to reflect current CACREP accreditation standards in January 2015.
- Clinical Mental Health degree (60 credits): PROGRAM PLAN - Clinical Mental Health
- School Counseling degree (50 credits): PROGRAM PLAN - School
- Oakland's programs continue to be accredited by the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).
- Contact Bobbi Wells at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
M.A. Applicants (September start) April 15
M.A. Applicants (January start) October 1
- Applications are submitted online with graduate admissions.
- Supplemental Applications
A supplemental application may be required for your program. Review the list of supplemental applications to see if your program requires an additional application.
You must submit official transcripts from all colleges/universities you have attended. If you are a United States active duty service member or veteran you should also include your military transcript.
Submit official transcripts to:
520 O'Dowd Hall
2200 N. Squirrel Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4401
- Recommendation Form
The total required recommendation forms is published in the Application Requirements section specific to the graduate program for which the applicant is requesting admission. Unless the applicant has been out of school for more than five years, at least one of the recommenders should be a faculty member who is able to judge the applicant’s preparation and ability to undertake graduate study. Recommendation Form
- International applicants:
International applicants requiring an I-20 or DS-2019 visa must also complete and submit the International Student Supplemental Application Packet (PDF) and specified support documents.
- General application/admission process questions can be sent to Graduate Admissions.