RATIONALE: To notify the community about the appropriate time, place and manner in which individuals may Distribute and/or Solicit, information, goods and/or services to others on Oakland University (University) property and in University buildings.
1. Approval for Distribution or Solicitation on Campus:
- Recognized Oakland University Organizations: Any officially recognized Oakland University department or organization may distribute materials or solicit, when the materials or solicitation pertain to the activities of the group, at any authorized distribution center, subject to restrictions as defined in this policy.
- Off-Campus Groups or Individuals: Any off-campus group or individuals wishing to solicit or to distribute materials on campus must obtain prior approval from the Dean of Students or his/her designee.
2. Distribution Centers: Except as described below, there shall be no door-to-door Distribution of free materials or sale or soliciting of products, services, or information by any persons on the University campus. Distribution and Solicitation is not permitted at Graham Health Center, Meadow Brook Theatre, Meadow Brook Hall, Baldwin Pavilion grounds, University parking areas, the Pioneer Food Court or other campus dining areas.
- Oakland Center: Any registered on-campus organization wishing to Distribute materials in the Oakland Center must reserve a table through the Oakland Center Reservations Office. All solicitations in the Oakland Center must be in accordance with the Oakland Center Distribution policy.
- Residential Units: Procedures and specific locations for Distribution within the residence halls shall be determined by the Director of University Housing or his/her designee.
- Campus Recreation Center: Procedures and specific locations for Distribution and Solicitation in the Recreation Center shall be determined by the Director of Campus Recreation or his/her designee.
- Other Campus Buildings and Outdoors: Any campus or non-campus organization wishing to Distribute materials in any other campus buildings or outdoors must contact the Dean of Students or his/her designee to make arrangements for proper Distribution.
- The name of the sponsoring group must appear at the site of the Distribution or Solicitation.
- The distribution of free materials or free exhibition of services, products or information by an individual or group from outside the University community shall be permitted only when space for this purpose has been rented from the University or when such Distribution is sponsored by an officially recognized University group.
- Commercial products may only be sold when they meet a need not presently being fulfilled by the University. Any such sales may not be in conflict with any pre-existing vendor contract(s).
- The University will not assume responsibility for items left unattended.
- If the purpose for exhibiting or advertising for sale at a Distribution center is to support a non-profit, recognized University group, sales transactions may take place directly at that location.
- No sales by on-campus individuals solely for their own personal gain shall be approved.
- It is the sponsoring group's responsibility to keep the point of Distribution free from litter. Failure to comply with this guideline will result in the loss of the privilege to Distribute materials on campus and a service charge for the clean up. Violators may also be charged with violation of OU Ordinance #4.20.
- It is the sponsoring group's responsibility to keep Distribution and Solicitation activities in the reserved area to insure that normal University activity is not disturbed.
- To allow for the uninterrupted flow of traffic in the hallways, all transactions must be completed from behind the tables assigned to the group or organization.
- Video and sound equipment may be used at the Distribution site. However, volume levels must be kept to a minimum. The authorizing agent reserves the right to reduce the volume or turn off the equipment if it becomes disruptive or interferes with normal University activity.
- The University has designated several Distribution sites for normal Distribution activity (i.e. (mall area) between North Foundation Hall and South Foundation Hall, outside the Oakland Center entrances, the concrete platform outside the Oakland Center, outside the Campus Recreation Center entrance, and outside the Kresge Library). Other locations may be identified based on the needs of the group, but must be approved to prevent interference with normal University activity. The University reserves the right to remove any site from this designated list and to add alternate sites, at its sole discretion. The Distribution and/or Solicitation must occur at least 50 feet away from the building, or as otherwise directed by the University.
- The placement and Distribution of free newspapers in and around campus buildings must be approved by the building manager or, in cases where there is no manager, the Dean of Students.
4. Disclaimer: By its review and acceptance of products and services for Distribution on campus, Oakland University does not endorse or warrant the quality of those products and services.
5. Enforcement: Office of the Dean of Students: Complaints regarding violations of this policy should be forwarded to the Office of the Dean of Students.