|SUBJECT:||SUPPLEMENTARY CLASSROOM MATERIALS|
|AUTHORIZING BODY:||VICE PRESIDENT FOR FINANCE AND ADMINISTRATION|
SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS
|RESPONSIBLE OFFICE:||SENIOR VICE PRESIDENT FOR ACADEMIC AFFAIRS|
|DATE ISSUED:||AUGUST 1982|
|LAST UPDATE:||MAY 2009|
RATIONALE: This policy establishes the parameters for the sale of Supplementary Classroom Materials at Oakland University.
POLICY: Faculty may require students to purchase Supplementary Classroom Materials only as outlined in this policy.
- Individual faculty or departments may not sell material directly to the students and must not collect money from students for classroom material. This prohibition includes collecting money for photocopying material in department offices.
- Faculty must coordinate with the OU Bookstore (Bookstore) the Supplementary Course Materials students are required to purchase.
- Faculty members will not act on behalf of the Bookstore or become involved in consignment sales arrangements, unless approved by the University.
- Course materials, such as Course Packs, may be created by the Bookstore or other vendors. The Bookstore or vendor is responsible for obtaining clearance from publishers for copyright approval and/or permission to print such materials and distributing Course Packs, generally through direct sale or internet order. Clearances normally last one semester.
- The Bookstore will coordinate the production of all Supplementary Classroom Materials with the University Services Printing Services Department.
SCOPE AND APPLICABILITY: This policy is applicable to faculty, staff and students of Oakland University and the Bookstore at Oakland University.
Course Packs: An academic Course Pack is a collection of photocopied materials used in the classroom.
Supplementary Classroom Materials: These include faculty-assigned, non-textbook items for purchase such as Course Packs, lab equipment, and I-clickers.
PROCEDURES: 1. Faculty must notify the Bookstore regarding supplementary classroom material that students are required to purchase.
2. Faculty must notify the Bookstore regarding creation and distribution of Course Packs.
RELATED POLICIES AND FORMS: