International Students and Scholars

328 O'Dowd Hall
586 Pioneer Drive
Rochester, MI 48309-4482
(location map)
(248) 370-3358
Fax: (248) 370-3351

Translate this Page

Health Insurance

F-1 and J-1

F-1 and J-1 international students are required purchase the University-sponsored health insurance plan, UnitedHealthcare (UHC) Student Resources. The Student Health Insurance Plan costs $1,860 annually.

This is a quality health plan with a reasonable premium. This policy has benefits including no deductible and benefits paid at 100 percent when care is received at Graham Health Center. Care. Services outside of Graham Health Center have a $500 deductible for any care; however additional deductibles may apply.

Healthcare Plan details

J-1 exchange students are required to enroll in person at the ISSO office within five days of the semester start date in which they begin academic study.

Applying for a Health Insurance Waiver

If you have alternate equivalent insurance you may apply for an exemption through the waiver process.

Waiver and Enrollment application

The waiver process will exempt you from purchasing the University-sponsored health plan under two conditions only:

  1. You are insured by your government-sponsored U.S.-based health plan (Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, UAE, Iraq, Amideast, Oman)

  2. You are covered under a U.S. employer-based health plan as a dependent of your parent or spouse. In this case, you must purchase the medical evacuation and repatriation plan separately ($75).

Policies that do not meet one of the two conditions above will not be accepted as adequate insurance coverage. 

After you apply for a waiver you will be instructed to bring a copy of your insurance policy with the schedule of benefits ISSO.

No other plans, including your home country's government-sponsored health plan, will be accepted.

If you are covered under a Canadian employer-based health plan as a dependent of your parent or spouse, this policy must meet the following criteria:

  • provide coverage worldwide and for the entire waiver period indicated
  • have unlimited coverage per condition
  • provide inpatient and outpatient medical services including emergency care, maternity, newborn care, laboratory and imaging services
  • provide inpatient and outpatient mental health
  • provide pediatric services including oral and vision care
  • provide preventive care at 100%
  • rehabilitative and habilitative services
  • provide unlimited prescription coverage
  • include medical evacuation (minimum $50,000)  and repatriation  (minimum $25,000) to your home country. 


Health Insurance Options for F-2 and J-2 (Dependents)

F-2 dependents are strongly recommended to carry health insurance at all times. Serious accident and illness that may occur when a person is uninsured can result in many problems receiving adequate care and paying the extremely high costs of American health treatment.

J-2 dependents are required by U.S. federal law to carry health insurance at all times. ISSO does not require J-2 insurance be provided by UHCRS Health Insurance Plan.

J-1 scholars are also required to purchase the United Healthcare plan while completing their stay at Oakland University. 

We will accept alternative coverage for J-2 dependents, if the scholar wishes to enroll dependents in another plan. All J-2 (dependents) are required by U.S. federal law to carry health insurance at all times. The minimum J-2 health insurance requirements are:
  • Medical benefits of at least $100,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $25,000
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $50,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.
J-1 scholars must provide proof of insurance for all J-2 dependents meeting the specified insurance requirements within five days of arrival.

After you have enrolled in our University sponsored Unitedhealthcare plan you will want to setup your health insurance account where you can:

  • Print an ID card or request an ID card
  • Check claim status 
  • Update personal information
  • Look up a network provider     

You can setup your account with these 3 easy steps:


1. Select the "Create Your Online Account Now" on the right side of the Home page

2. Enter your Name and Birth-date + your student ID which is your G#

3. Create your username and password (you will want to remember this to login in the future)

If you receive the error message that your information can not be found please e-mail

Dental &

Both Dental and Vision are not covered under your Unitedhealthcare policy unless caused by an injury to sound natural teeth. See policy for more details. It is normal in the US that these plans are purchased separately from your main comprehensive health plan. Here you will find resources for affordable dental and vision programs:


Asked Questions
Why is OU requiring international students to maintain health insurance as a condition of their enrollment?
U.S. regulations require international exchange students, scholars and their dependents to buy adequate health insurance coverage. A new law, the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), mandates a basic level of health insurance coverage.

I am attending OU on a graduate or teaching assistantship. How do I know if my department pays for my insurance?
Contact your department directly to determine if they are covering your insurance expenses.

Is there a way to continue my insurance coverage after the term date if I have already graduated?
No. Students who have already graduated, including OPT students, cannot apply for this insurance plan.

Do I have to enroll each semester?
The enrollment and waive-process is on an annual basis starting in September if you are a returning or new fall student. If you arrive for winter semester you will be required to enroll or waive in January; for summer semester you enroll or waive in May. You will re-enroll for an annual plan the following September. The dates of open enrollment will be posted on the ISSO and Graham Health Center website each academic term.

What happens if I don’t make an Enroll/Waive selection within the specified time frame?
After the final Enrollment/Waive period has ended you will be automatically enrolled with UnitedHealthcare for the annual plan. Your OU student account will be automatically charged.

When will I receive my health insurance cards after I make my enrollment for the term?
Once you enroll you can create your login account at After accessing your account you can print your insurance card. NOTE: UHCSR no longer sends insurance cards. You must print it from your online account.

Can I spread my insurance premium payment out over the semester?
If you enroll for an Oakland University ebill payment plan at the beginning of an academic term you have the option of paying your bill in a 2-3 payment installment plan.