By spending time evolving your own poems and stories, you can understand how great literature works from a writer’s point of view. It’s hard to understand how difficult it is to write a great work until you've tried it yourself.
- CREATIVITY: Creative writing majors will write and revise many poems, short stories, plays, screenplays or television scripts. We all have stories to tell and unique ways of viewing the world; the Oakland University creative writing program provides you with the opportunity to develop your vision.
- CRAFT: Students will receive a grounding in the craft of writing. Strong poetry and prose certainly requires inventiveness, but it also involves disciplined training in language, form and structure.
- COMMUNICATION: No matter what you do in life, it will help to be able to communicate clearly and succinctly. A focus on writing will provide you with language and editing skills that are easily transferable to any other profession or area of interest.
- COMMUNITY: The creative writing community tends to be tight-knit. Sharing personal work forges close bonds between people, bonds that can last decades and provide you with lifelong readers for your writing.
- MENTORSHIP: Creative writing majors receive lots of close interaction with professors. Classes are small and there are many opportunities for one-on-one mentorship.
- HISTORY: We believe that in order to be a successful writer, it’s crucial to be steeped in literary history. Our cognate literature courses will ground you in traditions thousands of years old as well as the work being written today.
- LITERARY APPRECIATION: By spending time evolving your own poems and stories, you can understand how great literature works from a writer’s point of view. It’s hard to understand how difficult it is to write a great work until you’ve tried it yourself.