- 06/09/15 - Oakland University choral ensemble to perform with the Rolling Stones
- 06/05/15 - OU rolls out new LGBTQ Studies minor
- 04/20/15 - OU Summer Mathematics Institute alums gear up for international competition
- 05/01/15 - Oakland University hosting 2015 Music Theory Midwest Conference
- 04/07/15 - MaTilDa Awards to honor music, theatre and dance performers
- 03/30/15 - Grammy-winning artist to showcase Ugandan music at Oakland University
- 03/24/15 - Oakland Symphony Orchestra to perform with acclaimed organist March 29
- 03/13/15 - International affairs lecture to explore global impact of lower oil prices
- 03/11/15 - Romance meets comedy in OU theatre production of “She Loves Me”
- 02/24/15 - Film festival to spotlight Detroit-based activist Grace Lee Boggs
College of Arts and Sciences
Welcome to the College of Arts and Sciences
Kevin J. Corcoran, Dean
The journey of a lifetime can begin with a single “click.” I’m glad that you clicked or tapped your way to the College of Arts and Sciences website, for you have begun a journey that could take you to places that will stretch your imagination.
A strong College of Arts and Sciences forms the heart of any great university, and ours is no exception. Whether your journey takes you deep within the human brain or to the vastness of the universe, we’re the place you want to be. Whether that journey of discovery takes you to calculus or cubism, improvisational theatre or archaeological digs, local government or international studies, nanotechnology or Nachtmusik — all of these activities call Arts and Sciences home! And, this list barely scratches the surface of the dozens of other areas of study that may be part of your journey.
Regardless of what you study, you will find talented faculty who will involve you in creative work and research, with active learning at the core of your educational experience. You will come to understand the key issues in a field, to think critically and communicate effectively about those issues, create new knowledge and ways of thinking, and connect that learning to the world beyond the classroom. These are the skills that employers are clamoring for.
Don’t believe me? Check this out: It Takes More Than a Major: Employer Priorities for College Learning and Student Success
As important as preparing you for a job, your Arts and Sciences education will help you discover new capacities within yourself — a discovery that will transform you forever. That transformation will prepare you for your first job, your last job, and every job in between … and help you change the world!
But, enough from me … you’ve got quite a trip to take!
Department of History
Craig Martin, Ph.D., is an associate professor in the Department of History. Specializing in the Italian Renaissance and Early Modern history of science, Dr. Martin has conducted research in various cities throughout Italy, including Florence, Bologna, Venice, Rome and Padua.
Since joining Oakland in 2006, Dr. Martin has earned several prestigious honors. The American Academy in Rome awarded him the 2011-2012 Andrew W. Mellon Foundation Post-Doctoral Rome Prize in Renaissance and Early Modern Studies, and he also earned a Dibner Fellowship in the History of Science at the Huntington Library in San Marino, Calif. In addition, he has received two OU research fellowships and also won the New Investigator Research Award.
CAS Welcomes New FacultyThe 2013-14 academic year finds the College of Arts and Sciences welcoming an exciting group of new faculty to the college and Oakland University. Their expertise is globally diverse and will bring excitement to their students, colleagues and university as a whole. Click here to get to know more about them.