Veterans Support Services
North Foundation Hall, Room 116
318 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4454
(248) 370-2010

Office Hours:
M-F: 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.

Veterans FAQ

How do I start to receive my G.I. Bill benefits?
If you have not used your benefits before, visit   Veterans Benefits Administration and click on Apply Today.

Do I have to verify my attendance?
If you are Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607 you need to verify your attendance with Veterans Affairs at the end of each month you are registered for classes. This can be done by either calling 1-877-823-2378 and following the instructions or go to and click on Verify Attendance. Follow the instructions. When the system tells you that you are certified, your verification is complete. If you are receiving benefits the Post-9/11 GI Bill-Chapter 33, you do not have to verify your attendance each month.

How long does it take to process my certification paperwork?
Your enrollment certification will be processed from the Registrar’s Office. The VA Regional Processing Office in St. Louis, MO processes all documentation from every school within our region. It is very important that you submit a Request for Enrollment Certification to the VA Certifying Official in a timely manner.

What should I do if I do not receive a payment?
While attending school, you must verify your attendance each month by using the WAVE system (Chapter 30, 1606 or 1607). Remember that you cannot be paid for a month until the month is over and you verify that you were still in attendance for that month.

WAVE and the telephone interactive Voice Response Systems require at least three workdays to process and update the system. Both systems process data every workday, but it sometimes takes some additional time before they are updated to reflect the new information.

If you have a check mailed, you can expect your monthly benefit payment approximately 14 days after you verify your enrollment. If you have your benefits sent to a direct deposit account, you can expect your payment within 7 days of verifying your school attendance.

If you do not receive your payment within this timeframe, please contact VA to confirm that payment has been issued. You can contact VA by calling (888) 442-4551.

If you are receiving benefits under the Post-9/11 GI Bill-Chapter 33, you do not have to verify your attendance each month. BAH payments are issued directly to the student on a monthly basis for the previous month. If you do not receive payment, contact the VA by calling (888) 442-4551.

If I change my enrollment, do I have to notify anyone?
You must notify VA and the school’s certifying official as soon as possible. This includes adds, drops, withdrawals, incompletes and any situation that could have mitigating circumstances. If VA does not receive prompt notice of a change, you could be liable for an overpayment of benefits.

Can I take courses at another institution and receive my benefits?
Yes. You must notify the school’s certifying official where you are obtaining your degree that you will be taking classes at another institution, known as the Secondary School. The institution where you are obtaining your degree is the Parent School. You must provide the Parent School a copy of your schedule from the Secondary School. The courses must be transferable and satisfy the requirements for the degree you are pursuing at the Parent School. The Parent School will send a letter to the Secondary School stating the classes you are registered for will transfer and satisfy the requirements for the degree you are pursuing. 
If you are concurrently enrolled at both institutions, both institutions will submit a certification to VA for the courses being taken at that institution. You must request certification at the Secondary School by contacting their VA Certifying Official. To check the transferability of classes being taking at a community college visit the transfer credit equivalency website.

If I am eligible for more than one chapter of benefits, can I claim both chapters?
Yes. However, you may only receive payments from one program at a time. You can receive a maximum of 48 months of benefits under any combination of VA education programs you qualify for. If you are eligible for more than one benefit, you should discuss your education plans with VA. You can contact VA at or by phone at (888) 442-4551.

For how many months can I receive benefits?
You may receive up to 36 months of benefits. You can receive a maximum of 48 months of benefits if you are eligible for more than one chapter. For specific regulations for the different chapters contact VA at

Is there a restriction on what courses I can take while I receive G.I. Bill benefits?
VA will only pay for courses that are listed on your Plan of Study for the degree you are pursuing.

What do I do if I am notified that I am getting deployed?
You should notify the VA Certifying Official and provide a copy of your official orders.

What is the difference between the Montgomery GI Bill and the New Post 9/11 GI Bill?
Please review the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs website for details, at

Can I use my military benefits for graduate school?
If you have not exhausted your benefits, they may be used for graduate school.

How much is tuition at OU?
You can view current tuition rates online. Tuition rates for the upcoming academic year are typically published in August.