Elementary Teacher Education
When becoming an elementary education major at Oakland University, you are committing to achieving your academic goals in a program characterized by excellence. At the same time, faculty and staff are committing to your success in becoming a high-quality elementary teacher.
Teaching and learning experiences within the Elementary Education program are consistent with the vision statement of the School of Education and Human Services: “A community of learners committed to developing human potential.” Coursework and program experiences include a focus on: (1) the integration of theory and practice; (2) project-centered work; (3) learning experiences within real classrooms that are integrated with coursework, and; (4) a commitment to your progress and developing your potential to become an exemplary educator.
Upon completing the elementary education program you will earn a Bachelor of Science degree, and upon successful completion of the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification you will be recommended for a Michigan provisional certificate in elementary education. Graduates of the program are also eligible for grade 6-8 endorsements in one or more of the following areas: language arts, mathematics, modern languages, science and social studies. Endorsements in Early Childhood Education and English as a Second Language (ESL) are also available. To get started, read the program requirements and contact an academic adviser by clicking on these tabs to the right.
If you already hold a bachelor's degree, you can pursue the program as a second undergraduates or you may apply for the M.A.T – Elementary Education program by clicking on the Graduate Programs tab to the left.
In addition to university requirements, you will need to:
- Have a 2.8 cumulative Grade Point Average at Oakland University
- Receive a minimum grade of 3.0 in the required pre-professional education course
- Complete a minimum of 70 hours of experience working with children ages 4-14
- Pass the Michigan Test for Teacher Certification (MTTC) Professional Readiness Exam
- Complete an application for major standing in Elementary Education
- Upon admission to major standing in elementary education, the student and the department will sign an acceptance agreement contract outlining the requirements and expectations for completing the program.