Faculty use LiveText for assessment of student learning outcomes and to provide formative feedback to students - both of which are key components in our continuous improvement cycle.
Students use it for online portfolios and for submitting assignments for specific courses. Students are required to purchase a LiveText Keycode and register an account.
- Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome
When making the decision to require students to purchase LiveText, it was ultimately decided that all* students enrolled in an initial teacher certification program need access to the many benefits LiveText provides. The key benefit for students is that they will have access to faculty feedback on their performance across all Education courses. Having access to this information helps students to reflect on their learning over time. LiveText allows faculty to share assessments and showcase how students have met standards and areas that they excel in within their program(s).
For our faculty and staff in SEHS, LiveText provides our programs with detailed data reports that we use for our state and federal accreditation. Our programs are accredited both by the Michigan Department of Education and CAEP (Council for Accreditation of Educator Preparation). Through course assessments in LiveText, we collect data each semester to show accreditors we are preparing future/current teachers to meet national standards. LiveText now enables our faculty to collect and analyze course assignments and assessment data more efficiently and provide feedback to students on their assessments.
*Please note: guest students, professional development students as well as some post-baccalaureate students who are enrolled in LiveText courses may be exempt from purchasing LiveText.
- Unlimited, secure digital online storage with 24/7/365 access.
- Easy preparation of customized portfolios that you can share.
- Ability to create a classroom management portfolio.
- Privacy unless you wish to share your data with instructors, classmates, peers, and/or employers.
- All-in-one-portability of work between classes and semesters.
- Resources, including a rubric maker, standards, assignment templates, curriculum tools, and more.
- Access to LiveText’s curriculum tools and standards, allowing you to create lesson plans with integrated standards.
- Showcase your personal growth through program assessments.
- Faculty can create rubrics and course assessments, aligning them to current standards.
- Integrates with Moodle.
- Allows for detailed alignment with the latest state, federal, and professional standards for teacher education programs. Faculty can easily show “evidence” that programs comply with requirements.
- Facilitates web creation of student projects such as professional and classroom portfolios.
- Accurately assess student work over time based on custom rubrics and expectations.
- Provides tools for marking, editing, and evaluating student work.
- Privacy is yours until you wish to share your data with others.
- Online access 24/7/365 from multiple computer locations: school, work, home, etc.
- Video file size limit is 150MB
- It is faster to upload video outside of the assignment - upload the video to LiveText File Manager first, then attach to the assignment, rather than uploading directly into the assignment
- Videos that are significantly less than 150MB can take 5-6 minutes to upload, but students are able to work in other areas while video is uploading
- If the video is larger than 150MB, students will need to compress it. It is recommended to use HandBrake to do so.
To download the authentic HandBrake software (that does not include adware/malware), do so directly from the HandBrake website.
Q: What do students pay to purchase LiveText?
A: The cost of purchasing LiveText is jointly shared by SEHS and students. The cost of a 5 year license is $133. Students may purchase their copy of LiveText Student Membership: Field Experience Edition directly from the LiveText website at https://www.livetext.com/purchase-register-membership/.
Each student LiveText account is a one-time purchase that is valid for 5 years from the date of purchase. Students will be using LiveText throughout their Education courses and have access to their files and portfolio across semesters and beyond graduation.
Q: When are course assignments posted on LiveText?
A: Most course assignments in LiveText are collected toward the end of the semester, so course assignments may not appear in LiveText until the middle of each semester.
Q: What do I do if I forgot my LiveText password?
A: If you would like to receive an e-mail with a link to reset your password, please follow the steps listed below:
- Go to https://www.livetext.com
- In the upper right corner of your browser window and to the right of the "Login" button, click the link "Forgot Password?"
- Enter your school email address.
- Click the "Continue" button.
- Make sure the first choice ("Email to") is selected.
- Click the "Continue" button.
- Check your e-mail account. Look for an e-mail from "firstname.lastname@example.org" with a subject line that begins with "LiveText Password Reset Code for". You may need to check your spam or trash folders if you do not receive the email in your inbox. Alternatively, you may need to add email@example.com to your address book to receive the email if your email provider is filtering the email from your account entirely.
- Your username will be located at the top of the email. Within the e-mail you've received, click the link provided. This should take you back to the LiveText website and you should see a message stating "Reset your password".
- Enter a new password for your account in the textboxes labeled "New Password" and "Confirm New Password". The password must be identical in both boxes. The password must be at least six characters in length and contain a mix of character types with at least two from the following categories: uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numeral, and symbols. It is your responsibility to safekeep your username and password if you choose to write it down.
- Click the "Continue" button. At this point, you will receive a confirmation message on screen that states "your new password has been reset successfully".
- Click the link "Continue to your LiveText Membership account".
Q: Do students really need to purchase LiveText?
A: Yes, most* Education students (undergraduate, graduate, endorsement) will need to purchase LiveText, regardless of how many courses they are taking. This one-time purchase, which is comparable in price to the cost of a textbook, is valid for up to 5 years from the date of your purchase. A few courses do not complete assessments at this time and are therefore currently not requiring students to purchase LiveText. Your instructor will let you know whether or not a LiveText account is required.
Q: Why do students need to purchase LiveText?
A: LiveText will enable Education students to complete course assignments, submit program assessments, save projects and papers in a secure location, build an electronic professional portfolio, and showcase your educational growth. Additionally, LiveText is required by the School of Education and Human Services in order to maintain our quality programs.
Q: Is OU’s School of Education the only institution using LiveText?
A: No, LiveText is used by universities across the United States with several users being in Michigan. If students already have a LiveText account from another institution, they do not need to purchase another copy (unless their account has expired).
Q: Where do students buy LiveText?
A: Students can purchase their LiveText Student Membership: Field Experience Edition directly from the LiveText website at https://www.livetext.com/purchase-register-membership/.
Q: Do faculty need to purchase LiveText?
A: Faculty LiveText accounts are being managed internally. If you are a course instructor and do not yet have a LiveText account, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Q: If I need help with LiveText, who should I contact?
A: LiveText has a comprehensive online guide that will guide you through using the program at https://www.livetext.com/c1_help/. You can also contact the LiveText Help Desk directly for support at 1-866-548-3839 or via email@example.com.