Michigan authors and illustrators, such as Jim Ottaviani, Kathe Koja, Wong Herbert Yee, two-time Newbery honor recipient Gary Schmidt, Laurie Keller, and Sarah Miller, are featured each summer.
Authors & Illustrators Course
Read excellent children’s books, enjoy hearing some of the best children’s authors and illustrators, meet new people, collect excellent teaching ideas, and earn credit for all this fun.
Caldecott Honor award winners who have come to Oakland University include Denise Fleming, Margaret Chodos-Irvine, Vera B. Williams, Bryan Collier and Mo Willems both three-time Caldecott honor winners, Laura Vaccaro Seeger, James Ransome, and Brian Pinkney.
Marilyn Nelson, Poet Laureate of Connecticut from 2001-2006, is a National Book Award finalist and recipient of a Newbery Honor award, three Coretta Scott King Honors, Printz Honor award, Lee Bennett Hopkins Poetry Award Honor, and two Boston Globe/Hornbook Awards.
Pam Muñoz Ryan spent two days at OU with Brian Selznick. Ryan has been awarded the 2011 and 2002 Pura Belpré Medals, 2006 Belpré Honor award, and the 2005 Schneider Family award. Together, Ryan and Selznick won the 2003 Orbis Pictus Award and the Sibert Honor Award, both presented to informational book authors. Besides his Caldecott Award for The Invention of Hugo Cabret, Selznick received the 2002 Caldecott Honor award, 2012 Schneider Family honor, the 2005 Sibert honor award, and the 2002 Orbis Pictus Honor award, for books written by author Barbara Kerley, another Authors & Illustrators guest lecturer.
Jerry Pinkney: In 1997 he was the United States Board on Books for Young People (USBBY) Nominee for the Hans Christian Andersen Award for Illustration. He received the 2010 Randolph Caldecott Medal to compliment his 2003, 2000, 1995, 1989 and 1988 Randolph Caldecott Honor awards. Jerry Pinkney has received the Coretta Scott King Illustrator Award five times: in 2002, 1997, 1989, 1987, 1986. He also received the Coretta Scott King Illustrator Honor Award in 2009 and 1981. This is just the a few of the awards he has received since 1964.
- Coretta Scott King Awards: Andrea and Brian Pinkney, Jacqueline Woodson, Bryan Collier, E.B. Lewis, Eloise Greenfield, R. Gregory Christie, Jan Spivey Gilchrist, Nikki Grimes,
- National Book Award (Winner): Kimberly Willis Holt, Gloria Whelan,
- National Book Award (Finalist): Deborah Wiles,
- Pulitzer Prize: Paul Zindell
- Orbis Pictus Award and Honor Awards: Penny Coleman, Pam Muñoz Ryan and Brian Selznick, Nic Bishop and Sy Montgomery, Candice Fleming, Marc Aronson, Barbara Kerley, James Deem
- Governor General’s Award (Canada): Tim Wynn-Jones and Marie Louise Gay