Mindfulness for School Leaders
Mindfulness for School LeadersNext workshop coming soon!
Oakland University Main Campus, Pawley Hall
This is a workshop that is designed for all school leaders who want to improve their leadership practice, reduce stress, develop resilience, and thrive at work. Dr. Caryn Wells, Associate Professor in the Department of Organizational Leadership at Oakland University will offer this full-day workshop for administrators at all levels that includes time for interaction, problem solving, reflection, mindful practice, mindful self-compassion, and goal setting. This workshop will also include information about mindfulness practices in the classroom, and research on how mindfulness has improved student behavior, focused attention, impacted kindness, and improved student achievement.
Mindfulness has become mainstream as corporations, hospitals, and other large industries have embraced mindful practice for its ability to reduce stress and improve interactions with other people. Come and find out what others have been learning about Mindfulness practice and learn how it can benefit you, with a state of intentional presence.
This will be a day to unplug, learn self-care, and participate in practices that can improve interactions within the school.
Goals and Benefits of the Workshop
All attendees will be able to:
- Learn about stress reduction techniques about mindfulness practices
- Learn about mindfulness leadership and mindful self-compassion
- Review research on schools that reinforce focused attention for their students
- Each attendee will receive a resource packet with helpful resources to deepen mindfulness practice
- Each attendee will receive a copy of Dr. Caryn Wells’ book, Mindfulness: How School Leaders Can Reduce Stress and Thrive on the Job
- Administrators can earn 6 SCECHs
- Light refreshments and lunch provided
Caryn M. Wells, Ph.D.
Caryn Wells is an Associate Professor for the Department of Organizational Leadership at Oakland University. She teaches graduate classes in Educational Leadership for aspiring and practicing leaders. She has been teaching these principles to graduate students in educational leadership and teacher leadership classes, with introductions to doctoral and medical students. She is a former guidance counselor, assistant principal and principal. She has presented about mindful leadership at several conferences and to several professional organizations. She is the author of the book, Mindfulness: How School Leaders Can Reduce Stress and Thrive on the Job, to be published in March 2016 by Rowman and Littlefield.
Session topics for the Mindfulness for School Leaders workshop will include:
- Review mindful leadership and the reality of the school administrator’s world
- Learn mindful self-compassion and stress reduction techniques
- Practice mindfulness meditation
- Review techniques for classroom use to build and encourage a mindful practice within the school culture
- Learn how mindfulness practice and self-care can improve leadership
- Explore mindfulness resources for daily use – both personal and professional
- Workshop Registration Fee: $135 (Price includes a copy of Dr. Caryn Wells’ book, Mindfulness: How School Leaders Can Reduce Stress and Thrive on the Job)
- SCECHs Fee: Additional $10
- Parking is free on Oakland University's Main Campus
- Lunch will be provided to all participants
For more information, please contact:
Kelly Quintana, Assistant Program Coordinator