M.Ed. in Special Education with ABA concentration
Research has shown that Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA), provided by individuals trained in the principles of behavioral analysis, can help individuals including those with autism to learn specific skills such as how to communicate, develop relationships, play, care for themselves, learn in school, succeed at work, and participate fully and productively in family and community activities, regardless of their age. ABA has a strong database of research to document its effectiveness with positive behavioral changes for a variety of populations.
Oakland University's graduate certificate in ABA and the M.Ed. in Special Education with ABA concentration are both approved by the Behavioral Analyst Certification Board (BACB).
In order to earn the BCBA designation, individuals are also required to complete up to 1500 hours of ABA practicum or independent fieldwork, and pass the board’s national exam.
- The graduate certificate in ABA (18 credits) offers specific courses in behavioral principles and techniques that fulfill course requirements for the Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) certification. Candidates for the certificate program should already hold a board-approved master's degree.
- The M.Ed. in Special Education (44 credits) fulfills the BACB degree requirements; the ABA concentration courses are embedded within the degree. Candidates for the master’s program must have a minimum of a bachelor's degree.
- A variety of board-approved practicum / independent fieldwork options are available. Contact faculty adviser (Dr. Jessica Korneder) for details.
For more detailed information on this credential, please visit www.bacb.com.
We are now accepting applications to begin in Fall 2016 (for those who need a board-approved master's degree) and Winter 2017 (for those who already have a board-approved master's degree).
The deadline to apply is July 15, 2016.
See catalog :
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis: Basic
- Graduate Certificate in Applied Behavior Analysis: Comprehensive
- Master of Education: Special Education, Applied Behavior Analysis
- For the M.Ed. in Special Education with ABA concentration program: Candidates must have a minimum of a bachelors degree. Five ABA courses are embedded within this degree.
- For the Graduate Certificate in ABA program: Candidates for the Graduate Certificate in ABA program must have a board approved masters degree: BACB.
- GPA of 3.0 or higher
- A personal interview may be required
- Potential for success in the program
Below are the courses required for the M.Ed. in Special Education with ABA concentration program. The program is a total of 44 credits. To view any of these course descriptions, please visit: oakland.edu/grad/graduate-programs.
Oakland University Main Campus
Rochester, MI 48309
(Map / Directions)
Our next cohort is scheduled to begin in Fall 2016 / Winter 2017. Completed applications are valid for one calendar year.
Download Information & Application Packet
ABA Faculty Program Coordinators:
- Dr. Janet Graetz, Advising & Admissions
email@example.com | (248) 370-2620
- Dr. Jessica Korneder (BCBA), Course Instructor, Practicum Advising
firstname.lastname@example.org | (248) 370-3080
For application questions, please contact:
- Susan Martino, Director of Program Development
email@example.com | (248) 370-4415