Emotional Impairment: Basic
The Graduate Certificate in Emotional Impairment: Basic (also known as an EI teaching endorsement) focuses on in-depth preparation for working with students with emotional / behavioral disorders in K-12 settings. Candidates are required to have (or be eligible for ) Michigan teacher certification at either the primary or secondary level. No prior special education endorsement is required.
Candidates who wish to apply coursework from the Graduate Certificate in Emotional Impairment: Basic to the M.Ed. in Special Education with EI Concentration (endorsement) would be better served by applying directly to the M.Ed. in Special Education with EI Concentration. Credits from the certificate program may be applied to the degree only if the student requests in writing to transfer to the degree prior to the completion of the certificate.
Plan of Study - Please see a sample Plan of Study showing the required courses in this 32-credit graduate certificate program.
Practicum/Student Teaching* - In partial fulfillment of the requirements to earn this credential, the Michigan Department of Education requires that candidates complete a minimum of 240 clock hours in a supervised practicum experience teaching students with emotional or behavioral disorders. The practicum is offered as the final experience required for K-12 certification in EI. The specific nature of the experience will be individually determined at the time of approval of the practicum request.
*The practicum must be completed at a site approved by the faculty adviser.
- Undergraduate or graduate degree with minimum GPA of 3.0
- Those seeking the EI teaching endorsement must hold or be eligible for a valid Michigan elementary or secondary teaching certificate
- The M.Ed. in Special Education with EI Concentration is also available to non-teachers; see Program Adviser for admission criteria
- Potential for success in the program
To be considered for graduate admission, applicants must submit all of the following university and program application documents by the published application deadlines.
Download an application packet. Read through the application packet carefully and submit all other required application paperwork to the designated areas.
Complete the free online graduate application by clicking on the Apply Now for Free button.
- Application Type: Grad – Graduate Certificate
For the Planned Course of Study, select:
- Grad Cert in Emotional Impairment - Basic (if you have Michigan teacher certification but do not have a prior special education endorsement)