Department of Mathematics and Statistics
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics at Oakland University provides students opportunities to develop mathematical and statistical skills needed for a vast array of careers today (www.mathclassifieds.org). As one of the largest departments in the College of Arts and Sciences, the Department of Mathematics and Statistics offers a broad range of undergraduate and graduate courses in the following areas of study:
- Mathematics (MTH courses)
- Applied mathematics (APM courses)
- Operations research (MOR courses)
- Applied statistics (STA courses)
- Secondary education (MTS courses)
- Elementary education (MTE courses)
The department offers programs leading to undergraduate, master's, and Ph.D. degrees in all phases of the pure and applied mathematical sciences.
Undergraduate programs include:
- Bachelor of Arts in mathematics
- Bachelor of Science in mathematics
- Bachelor of Science in applied statistics
The B.A. or B.S. in mathematics can be coupled with secondary teaching certification through the Secondary Teacher Education Program (STEP). In addition, in cooperation with the Department of Economics, we offer a program leading to a Bachelor of Science in actuarial science.
At the master's level, we offer a variety of programs:
- Master of Arts in Mathematics
- Master of Science in Industrial Applied Mathematics
- Master of Science in Applied Statistics
- Graduate Certificate in Statistical Methods
At the Ph.D. level, the department offers a Doctor of Philosophy in applied mathematical sciences with one of the following associated specializations:
- Applied continuous mathematics
- Applied discrete mathematics
- Applied statistics
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics serves a support role for departments in the College of Arts and Sciences, the School of Engineering and Computer Science, the School of Education and Human Services, and the School of Business Administration.