100 Library Drive
Rochester, MI 48309-4479
(248) 370-4357 (HELP)
Fax: (248) 370-4863
Office Hours: M-F 8:00am - 5:00pm
Classroom support hours:
Monday-Thursday 7:30 a.m. - 8 p.m.
Friday 7:30 a.m. - 6 p.m.
Saturday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Email Transfer From Webmail to Gmail
Email Transfer from Webmail to Gmail
Footprints Public Solution # 70834 Updated March 2016
This document will provide instructions on how to transfer your existing email messages to another account using POP settings. When your NetID account expires, no back-up exists of your e-mail messages nor your contacts. It is recommended that you transfer your old e-mails to another account and back-up or export your contacts so that you can reference them once your account has been terminated. There is no forwarding option available from your NetID account once it expires.
In Oakland University Webmail
1.) Sign into your Oakland University Webmail Powered by Google with your NetID username and NetID password at http://webmail.oakland.edu
2.) Select "Settings" in the top right corner of the page.
3.) Select "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" tab. Select "Enable POP for all mail (even mail that's already been download)" and click Save your changes.
4.) Sync your account by entering your NetID username and NetID password at https://netid.oakland.edu/gmailsync/
5.) Account unlock service - Unlock Captcha at https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha
Create an App-specific Password
1.) Click on account icon in the upper right corner and click My Account.
2.) Click Sig-in and Security
3.) Click on 2-Step Verification
4.) Click start setup
5.) Input your phone number and click Send Code
6.) Enter in the code that you received and click Verify
7.) Click confirm
8.)Click on the App-Specific Passwords Tab and then click Manage Application-Specific Passwords
9.) Select other from the device list and type in Gmail
10.) Copy the password in the yellow box that is generated to use for the login when adding your POP account on Gmail
In Gmail Account
1.) Select the small gear from the right-hand corner of the page, and select Settings.
2.) Select "Accounts" tab and Add a POP3 email account
3.) Type your Oakland University NetID address in the pop-up window and click next step.
4.) Enter the following information:
- ) Type your NetID username complete with "@oakland.edu" and NetID password
- ) Enter the POP server pop.gmail.com and port 995
- ) Check "Always use a secure connection (SSL) when retrieving mail"
- ) Select Add Account
- ) If you receive an error that reads "Server Denied POP3 access for the given username and password" when you try to add account. Try again and confirm the POP Server is pop.gmail.com - see below image.
Your Oakland University E-mail messages will begin to download. Note: This may take a few minutes.
If you are unable to set up the account,
- Confirm your NetID password meets the minimum requirement of 8 alpha-numeric character length
- Try the Unlock Captcha to unlock the account at https://www.google.com/accounts/UnlockCaptcha by entering your NetID firstname.lastname@example.org and try the steps again.