Human Development and Child Studies
Pawley Hall
456 Pioneer Drive
Rochester, MI 48309-4482
(248) 370-3077
Fax: (248) 370-4242

Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions 

Is there an undergraduate program in special education?
No. We offer only graduate programs.

What programs are available in special education? 
We offer three: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Emotional Impairment, and Specific Learning Disability.

Is there an undergraduate program in early childhood education?
Yes. There is a major for students in elementary education that leads to the ZS teaching endorsement.

Can I earn a state approved endorsement if I have a bachelor's degree in a field other than education?
Yes. Even though you have a bachelor's degree, you must have a teaching certificate. If you do, courses in the master's degrees and certificate programs include coursework that is approved for the state teaching endorsement. If you do not, contact the SEHS advising office.

How long do I have to complete the degree?
The Masters degree must be completed within a six year time frame.

Do certificate courses apply to the master's degree?
Yes, if completed within a 6-year timeframe.

What time are courses offered?
Most graduate courses are offered in the evening and on Saturdays.

Do you offer courses/programs online?
Yes. The following programs are offered 100 percent online and/or partially online: 

  • Master of Education in Special Education: Autism Spectrum Disorder
  • Master of Education in Early Childhood Education
  • Post-Masters in Early Education and Intervention
  • Graduate Certificate in Autism Spectrum Disorder

How do I get the endorsement added to my certificate?
To get an endorsement added to a certificate, you must apply for the endorsement upon completion of all requirements. Contact SEHS Advising for further information.