Ocular Structure & Imaging (OS&I) Facility
The Ocular Structure and Imaging facility (OSI) has provided expertise and instrumentation in support of biological ultrastructural analysis projects for more than two decades. Our mission is to provide high-quality electron microscopy services with state-of-the-art techniques, equipment, and expertise.
The OSI facility is a campus-wide resource that is offered and administered by the Eye Research Institute (ERI). It is available to OU and Beaumont Hospital faculty, staff and students, and also to off-campus investigators and users. The facility provides fee-for-service electron microscopy and specimen preparation services for biological science research. In addition, the center offers necessary training and instrumentation access to qualified users.
The OSI facility provides services and expertise in all aspects of transmission election microscopy. Expert consultation on experimental design and interpretation is also available.
- Conventional sample fixation, embedding, and sectioning
- Negative staining
- Sample preparation and processing for immuno-electron microscopy
Estimates for project initiation and completion can be provided upon request.
|TEM instrument time||$30 / hr|
|Labor rate (does not include instrument time)||$45 / hr|
1) A (free) consultation is required to determine project feasibility, timeframe and cost. NO services will be provided prior to project review and approval.
2) PI should send a brief email to Victoria A. Kimler (email@example.com), and include the following information:
a. What question will TEM help you answer?
b. Is the use of TEM for this purpose precedented? If so, provide a citation that illustrates the type of data you seek
c. Short term and long term numbers of samples you anticipate
Workorder initiation and project scheduling
1) A WORKORDER REQUEST FORM will be provided. The PI may assign a lab member to manage the project at this stage.
2) A fully completed WORKORDER REQUEST FORM must be EMAILED to Dr. Kimler.
Every sample to be analyzed must be listed individually on the form.
3) Sample shipping/delivery date must be pre-approved by Dr. Kimler.
4) Work requests are generally processed in the order they are received; turnaround times typically range from 2-6 weeks. Rush service is available at extra cost.
4,500 square foot suite includes wet laboratory, darkroom, ultramicrotome, and TEM lab.
FEI Morgagni 268 transmission electron microscope equipped with a side-mount Hamamatsu Orca-HR digital camera driven by AMT Image Capture Engine V601 software
Nikon Eclipse 50i upright microscope
Nikon SMZ645 stereozoom dissecting scope
RMC glass knife maker
Reichert Ultracut-E ultramicrotome
EMS-100 glow discharge unit
PELCO UVC3 cryo chamber
Tousimis Autosamdri-814 critical point drier
Polaron SEM Coating System