Reporting Injuries and Illnesses
Reporting Injuries and IllnessesWork-related accidents and injuries must be reported to a department supervisor immediately. Supervisors must complete an Occupational Accident Report within 24 hours of the reported injury and forward it to University Human Resources.
Timely reporting of injuries and illness ensures that unsafe situations or conditions are addressed immediately and that employees receive the appropriate care and treatment without any delay. In addition, timely reporting of injuries and illnesses ensures compliance with OSHA 29 CFR Part 1904 Recording and Reporting Occupational Injuries and Illnesses.
Work-related injuries and/or illnesses are caused by an event or exposure in the work environment that either causes or contributes to the resulting condition or significantly aggravate a pre-existing injury or illness.
In the event that an employee is injured:
- Ensure that the employee receives appropriate and prompt medical care and treatment.
- If an employee is seriously injured, contact the Oakland University Police Department at ext. 3331 or 248-370-3331.
- Supervisors should complete and sign an Authorization to Seek Medical Treatment Form and send it with the employee seeking medical treatment.
- Employees can be seen at Graham Health Center M-F from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., contact Graham Health Center at ext. 2341 or 248-370-2341.
- Outside of normal business hours, employees can be seen at Crittenton Hospital's Occupational Medicine Department, contact Crittenton Occupational Medicine at 248-652-5000.
- After hours services for Occupational Medicine are available through the Crittenton Hospital Emergency Room.
- Employees working in Macomb County of off campus should be seen at the nearest emergency room or urgent care center.
- Immediately report unsafe situations or conditions to Environmental Health and Safety at ext. 4196 or 248-370-4196 or Work Control Center at ext. 2381 or 248-370-2381.
- Supervisors must complete an Occupational Accident Report within 24 hours of the reported injury.
- Completed forms should be forwarded to University Human Resources c/o Benefits and Compensation Services, 401 Wilson Hall