In celebration of the liberal arts, the College of Arts and Sciences features annual themes that provide opportunities for students and faculty to investigate topics of interest from a broad interdisciplinary perspective. Theme events highlight the multiple facets of a single concept through the perspectives of the arts, literature, the sciences, the humanities, and the social sciences.
The topic for 2015-2016 is “Cracking Codes: Literacy Now,” and the related community book is Writing on the Wall: Social Media – the First 2,000 Years by Tom Standage. Plan to attend some of the theme events listed below. Check back for additional events and updates.
Winter Semester Theme Events
- Lightning Talks, Jan. 12, 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m., Fireside Lounge, OC
- Keeper of the Dream Scholarship Awards Ceremony - Keynote Speaker: LeVar Burton - January 18, 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m., Banquet Room, OC, Sponsored by the center for Student Activities
- "Reading Race: Art After Ferguson," by John Corso (Art and Art History) – Jan. 27, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m., OU Art Gallery, Wilson Hall
- Professor Sarah Amira De la Garza (Arizona State University): Cultural Literacy Events: Roundtable Discussion –Wednesday, Feb. 3, 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m., 242 Kresge Library. Presentation: “A Praxis of Courage: Cracking Cultural Codes Through Innovative Inquiry,” Thursday, Feb. 4, 2016, from 12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m. in Banquet Room A, OC.
- "Numeracy," Professor Jerry Grossman. (Mathematics and Statistics)—Wednesday, Feb. 10, 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m., in Lake Superior A, Oakland Center. Click here for a fun exercise.
- "Literacy in Biblical Times," Professor Mike Pytlik, Feb. 16, 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m., 242 Kresge Library
- National Poetry Month celebration events: Documentary film on a youth poetry slam: Louder than a Bomb. Wednesday, March 2, 5:00 p.m. - 8:00 p.m., 201 Dodge Hall. Poetry slam/spoken word event, Thursday, March 3, 5:00 p.m. - 7:20 p.m., 201 Dodge Hall. Film director Greg Jacobs will be on hand.
- "Why Can't Johnny…?" ~ Talk on Rhetoric and Literacy. Professor Elizabeth Allan (Writing & Rhetoric). Tuesday, March 15, 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m., Fireside Lounge, OC
- “Hull House Songs,” performance and lecture on literacy learning at Hull House in Chicago. Rima Lunin Schultz (Loyola University, Chicago), Graham Cassano (Sociology/Anthropology) and Oakland University musicians. Wednesday, March 16, 5:00 p.m., Varner Recital Hall
- “19th Century Reading Groups: Women’s Literacy,” Professor Anne Ruggles Gere (University of Michigan). Thursday, March 24, 12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m., Fireside Lounge, OC
Fall Semester Theme Events
- Kickoff: Lightning Talks Sept. 8, 12-1 p.m., Fireside Lounge, Oakland Center
- Constitution Day Talk on literacy and voting rights by Professor Dan Clark, Department of History Sept. 17, 12-1 p.m., Fireside Lounge, Oakland Center
- Reading Better and Faster – help table Sept. 28-29 12-1 p.m., Oakland Center
- The Parisian singer, songwriter and guitarist, Eric Vincent, in concert Friday, Oct. 9, 7 p.m., Dodge Hall 201
- Climate Literacies Symposium Oct. 15, time and location to be announced
- Reading Better and Faster – help table Oct. 18-19, 12-1 p.m., Oakland Center
- Election Day – Student Democrats will lead an initiative for voter registration with literacy tests for students to try Nov. 3, 10 a.m.-4 p.m., Oakland Center
- Literacy and Social Media presentation by Professor Tim Lockridge of Miami University of Ohio Nov. 5, 1:30-3 p.m., 201 Dodge Hall
- Shakespeare Across Media presentation by Professor Niels Herold, Department of English Nov. 11, 5-6:30 p.m., Gold Room A, Oakland Center
- Road Trip to the Library of Michigan, Nov. 14, 8:30 a.m. - 9:30 p.m., sign up begins at 9 a.m. on Nov. 14, at the CSA Service Window, 49 Oakland Center. Bring your OU I.D. to sign up. Free motor coach transportation, but seating is limited.
- Presidential Leadership (2004-2005)
- Environmental Explorations (2005-2006)
- Global Citizenship (2006-2007)
- Cities (2007-2008)
- Revolution (2008-2009)
- Religion and Society (2009-2010)
- Frontiers and Borders (2010-2011)
- Water (2011-2012)