The Department of Campus Recreation offers both fitness assessments and additional fitness education programs to
Looking for a GroupX Instructor for your event?
Barre Intensity® Instructor Training
Barre Intensity® Is More Than An Exercise. It's A Way Of Life. This isn’t your average barre technique. Barre Intensity® is powerful, encouraging, creative, and intense. Intense Shape. Intense You.
Dates of Two-Day Training at OU: Saturday March 12 (9am-4pm) & Sunday, March 13 (11am-6pm)
Registration: Sign up HERE! OU Students, use the promo code “OAKLAND” to receive $100 off
The Biggest Loser Winter 2016
- Early Bird Registration Price Period: November 1st - December 21st
- Late Registration Price Period: December 22nd - January 5th
- Registration Deadline: January 5th
- Interviews: December 1- January 8th (rolling basis)
- Acceptance & Welcome Emails: by January 11th
- Fitness Assessments: January 12th - January 17th
- Program Runs: January 18th - April 10th
- Be a DCR Recreation Center member
- Be a beginner/intermediate exerciser
- Have 15 or more pounds to lose
- Be able to commit 4-6 hours a week
- Provide proof of having a physical exam in the last year and have a physician’s clearance for participation
- Attend mandatory lifestyle behavior change sessions (nutrition, stress management, physical activity)
- Participate in two, one-hour long group workouts each week
- Keep an activity log and food journal on MyFitnessPal throughout the program
- Be willing to release results for publicity purposes
- Early Bird Price (November 1- December 21): $100 students and members
- Late Price (December 22- January 5): $150 students and members
- If however, we receive your email after Dec. 22nd you will automatically be charged the late fee registration. If we do not receive your completed application by January 6th, then we will remove you from our list and will no longer consider you for our program.
- Payments are due three days after admission to the program. Failure to pay could lead to losing your spot in the program. In addition, refunds will only be given for medical reasons (physician’s note required). Dropping out voluntarily does not deem a refund.
- All participants will receive t-shirts and other giveaways
- Winners will receive awesome prizes to help continue their new lifestyle!
Check back later in 2016 for news on Biggest Loser 2017!
- Participants must submit all of the following in order to be considered:
- Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis between November 30th - January 8th
- Acceptance into the program will be determined by Monday, January 11th
* *Please note that not all applications will be selected for an interview
I can’t get an appointment with my doctor until after the deadline, what do I do if I want the early bird special?
- You can turn in what you have for your application and make a note that you’re waiting on your physician’s clearance. If you are accepted into the program, then you’ll have until the first day of the program to turn in your physician’s clearance. Failure to do so will result in being dropped from the program.
Do I have to pay when I turn in my application?
- No, payment is due once you’re accepted into the program. Failure to pay by the third day of the program will result in being removed as a participant.
How do I know when my workouts will be?
- You are placed in a group based on the availability that you provide us in your application. The more availability that you provide, the easier it will be to create the groups.
How many times a week do I have to work out?
- You are required to workout at least three times a week, two of which must be with your group. Keep in mind that although the minimum is three, if your goal is to lose weight, then you should really be targeting 5-6 days of workouts a week. Failure to meet the minimum requirements or to show up for your group workouts can result in being dropped from the program.
What happens if I can’t make a group workout for the week?
- We try to discourage drop-ins because it causes distractions to the other groups, but we also understand that schedules change, things happen and sometimes it can’t be helped. In these types of situations, we do allow you to join another group’s workout session under the agreement that you notified Melissa about your change in plans and asked the trainer for permission to join his/her group. However, if we notice that this is a weekly pattern, we will sit you down and discuss the situation further.
How often do I have to weigh in?
- You are required to weigh in every Monday morning. Please set aside 5-10 minutes each Monday to stop by the Rec Center to get weighed in by our Fitness Assistant on duty in the Fitness Center. The coordinator will collect results around 11am on Monday. There will be a negative mark against you if you haven't weighed in by the time the results are collected. Missing more than two weigh-ins may result in being dropped from the program.
Do I have to keep track of my workouts and eating?
- Absolutely! You are required to update your MyFitnessPal diary with workouts and food intake to your trainer every day. Each week your trainer will review and provide you with feedback as needed. Failure to turn in a completed log may result in being dropped from the program.
Working toward a weight loss goal? Then take advantage of our Drop-in Body Composition service to help you keep on track! Drop-in, no appointment necessary! Generally falls on the first Monday of every month.
- Upcoming Dates Offered:
- February 1
- March 7
- April 4
- Times Offered:
- All Day- just stop by the Fitness Center ask speak with one of the Fitness Assistants!
- $5 (includes a report measuring your weight, blood pressure, percent body fat and flexibility).
- Please pay at the Welcome Center and bring your receipt to the fitness assistant.
Know Your Numbers is a program designed to provide participants with quick fitness assessment “numbers” relating to their health. Quick assessments will be offered for FREE at the Fitness Center within the Rec Center on the following dates. Some of the fitness assessments offered include: Blood Pressure, BMI, Flexibility, Body Composition and Muscular Fitness.
- Dates Offered:
- January 20: Body Composition (Bioelectrical Impedace (BIA) & BMI)
- February 17: Blood Pressure & Heart Rate
- March 16: Flexibility
- April 13: Aerobic/Muscular Fitness
- Times Offered:
- 7am-10am, 11am-2pm, 4pm-8pm
- Recreation Center, Outside Studio 897 (located downstairs outside the Fitness Center)
Helps members become familiar with the Fitness Center, exercise equipment, and general fitness principles. Proper use of equipment and education on proper form and muscle groups worked will be discussed based on the participant's needs/goals. Workout clothes & exercise shoes are encouraged.
- Offered: FREE all day, every day!
Designed for 13-17 year olds who would like to use the Fitness Center, Teens Getting Into Fitness (TGIF) teaches them how to safely and properly use the exercise equipment. Once the TGIF program is complete, the teen will receive a card to bring with them every time they use the Fitness Center. The Fitness Assistant on duty will ask to see their completion card. Parents/guardians must remain in the Fitness Center with the teen during all workouts. Participants must bring current photo with them for TGIF card to be made.
- Cost: FREE
- Time: approximately 45-60 minutes
- Registration: Contact Becky at (248) 370-4910