CPR and First Aid Training
Certification: Standard First Aid (valid for two years)
Cost: $25 members / $35 non-members (see information about Blended Learning Payments)
|No SUMMER Offerings|
Note for OU Students: This class does NOT fulfill the School of Nursing nor the School of Health Sciences Requirements.
Certification: Standard First Aid, Adult and Pediatric CPR/AED (both valid for two years)
Cost: $62 members / $70 non-members
|NO SUMMER OFFERINGS|
This course does not include First Aid skills.
Note for OU Students: This class does NOT fulfill the School of Health Sciences Requirements.
Certification: CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers (valid for two years)
Cost: $66 members / $74 non-members (see information about Blended Learning Payments)
|No SUMMER Offerings|
The purpose of this American Red Cross training course is to teach entry-level lifeguard participants the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide professional-level care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services personnel take over.
Course Prerequisites (tested on the first day):
- 15 years old on or before the final scheduled session of this course.
- Swim 300 yards continuously demonstrating breath control and rhythmic breathing.
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds: swim 20 yards, surface dive to 10 feet and retrieve a 10-pound object, return to the surface and swim back to the starting point with both hands holding the object; exit the water without using ladder or steps.
Cost: $195 members / $243 non-members
(note: the costs does not include the cost of a textbook; a loaner textbook will be provided for use during the class and access to a digital version will be provided as part of class enrollment. A textbook can be purchased during the class for an additional charge)
|No SUMMER Offerings|
The purpose of this American Red Cross instructor course is to train instructor candidates to teach the Red Cross Lifeguarding and CPR/AED for Professional Rescuer and Health Care Providers course.
- 17 years of age on or before the last day of the instructor course.
- Possess one of the following:
- A current American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED.
- A current Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid and either an American Red Cross certificate for CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer or and American Red Cross certificate for CPR/AED for Lifeguards.
- An equivalent certificate from another organization.
- Successfully complete the online Orientation to the Red Cross.
- Successfully complete the online Orientation to the Lifeguarding Course.
- Successfully complete the online Lifeguarding Instructor Precourse Exam (80 percent or better).
- Successfully complete the Precourse Session.
- Obtain the Lifeguarding Instructor's Manual and Lifeguarding Manual after you have successfully completed the Precourse Session.
Cost: $320 members / $365 non-members
(note: the costs does not include the cost of the Online Orientation which is $35)
Registration Min: 4 candidates; Max: 6 candidates
Registration Period: TBD
to be placed on an interest list
and receive information about
the potential Summer Class once determined
- Register for CPR/First Aid classes at the Welcome Center (main desk of the Recreation Center).
- Payment is required at the time of registration.
- Each class has a registration deadline of 9:00 a.m. on the Monday prior to the class.
Class enrollment is evaluated at 9 a.m. the Monday prior to the class. Classes that have not reached 5 registrants at the time of evaluation may be cancelled. Individuals enrolled in a class that has been cancelled will be given the option of transferring to another scheduled class or being issued a full refund.
- Cancellation requests should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 7 days before the date of the class.
- All cancellations will incur a $10 cancellation fee.
- Refunds will not be given for requests submitted within 7 days of the class.
Registering for a blended learning class is a two-step process.
The first step is to register for the desired class session with the Department of Campus Recreation either in person at the Welcome Desk of the Recreation Center or via the Department’s online registration site.
The second step is to register with the American Red Cross online training site via a web link that will be e-mailed to all enrolled participants at least two weeks prior to the in-classroom session date.
Blended Learning Payments
The fees listed are the total fees for the class. For blended learning registrations, a portion of the fee will be paid when enrolling with the Department of Campus Recreation. The other portion of the fee listed will be paid when registering with the American Red Cross online training site.