Access, Accounts, and Password Guidelines
Access, Accounts, and Password Guidelines
- Account Access
- Account For Temp Employee
- Password Guidelines
- NetID Account
- ADMNET Account - Classroom Technology and Domain Access
- Banner Account
- Banner Access For Student Employees and Unpaid Interns
Listed below are the accounts that University Technology Services offers for access to our various services.
Accounts used at the university are:
NetID: This is a primary account used for network access, e-mail (both as a login and as an e-mail address), MySAIL access and as the single-signon identity. No form is required for access.
ADMNET: This is a domain access account used by employees to access specific administrative protected resources including enterprise systems such as Banner, online data collection forms, and administrative printing. Faculty members and instructors use their ADMNET usernames and passwords to log onto classroom computers and access forms such as grade change forms. Completion of a form to access is required.
The OU Web Forms Menu is a common repository for administrative forms.
Please note that by university policy, passwords should not be shared and care should be taken to protect the privacy of any password. These documents are guidelines for your password security.
OU NetID Network Access and Computing Account
All active OU students, faculty, and staff are entitled to have an OU NetID network access and computing account. To activate your account, visit the NetID Profile website and click the heading Obtain Your NetID Account.
The NetID account will remain active while your relationship to the university is active.
For Oakland University employees, the record that tracks an active relationship is entered by a human resource office on the PEAEMPL form in Banner.
- Student NetID accounts are created when students are admitted to the university. Student accounts will be deleted if a student has not registered for one year; deletion may occur within 48 hours of final notice. Students who stop out will have the account deleted after the student has not registered for one year; the account will be recreated after the student registers or is re-admitted. Students with questions about their student status can contact the Office of the Registrar at 248-370-3450 or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Faculty NetID accounts are expired one year after termination of employment, unless an active status is maintained by emeritus status or by approval of the Office of the Provost. Deletion may occur within 48 hours of expiration final notice. The Office of the Provost enters an emeritus indication on the PEAFACT form in Banner. Faculty with questions about their status may contact Academic Human Resources at 248-370-2195.
- Staff NetID accounts are expired once their employment is terminated. Accounts are deleted within 24 hours of termination, unless a sooner termination is requested through University Human Resources. Staff members with questions about their status may contact University Human Resources at 248-370-3482.
- Departments may sponsor official guests with a relationship to the university. Sponsorships must be renewed annually.
- All types of accounts are expired and deleted 30 days after a person is recorded as deceased.
If you do not know your password or wish to reset your password, you can visit the NetID Profile website. To manage your NetID password, please review these guidelines: NetID and Domain Password Management Guidelines
NetID services include:
- Network Access
- You can access the University network, including GrizzNet and the wireless network.
- You can send and receive e-mail using your NetID account. Your e-mail address is email@example.com. You can check e-mail from public, home, or office computers. The preferred client for e-mail access is the Web-based interface at https://webmail.oakland.edu/. For information on how to configure other e-mail clients for use with your account, visit the E-mail Services section of the UTS website.
- MySAIL portal access.
- Moodle access.
ADMNET Account - Classroom and Domain Access
The Oakland University ADMNET domain account provides access to the administrative domain. Oakland University constituents need to login to a domain to obtain access to services, shares, and privileges. Faculty require an ADMNET account to use classroom computers installed in the lectern station. Accounts are terminated upon employment termination. To manage your ADMNET password, please review these guidelines: ADMNET Password Management Guidelines
Once you have requested and obtained an account, your confirmation form will contain information to help you get started in using available services:
- Access to Banner Forms
- Access to print Banner data
- Access to shares for ADMNET users
- Access to classroom computers for faculty and instructors
Active OU faculty and administrative staff who, as part of their duties, need access to university information in the Banner system may obtain an account. When all form completion requirements are met, access is granted. Access to the Banner system is governed by strict guidelines. Oakland University takes measurable steps to ensure that information is protected and that those with access to information understand the rights and privacy of all constituents of the university. To manage your Banner password, please review these guidelines: