BECOMING A CERTIFIED WELLNESS PRACTITIONER
WHP graduates from May 2006 onwards who attained an overall GPA of 2.75 may automatically register with the National Wellness Institute (NWI) as Certified Wellness Practitioners (CWP). Individuals who graduated earlier from the WHP program may also apply to become CWPs but need to follow a different certification path. Visit the NWI Website for more details.
Wellness, Health Promotion and Injury Prevention
EDWARD KUHN MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP
The School of Health Sciences and the Wellness, Health Promotion, and Injury Prevention (WHP) program announces a new scholarship for the 2015-2016 academic year. The scholarship is applicable to upper level WHP students who will be registered full time in both the Fall and Winter semesters. Applications are due July 1, 2015. For more information, application, and instructions please click here.
We see this dynamic program geared to meeting the needs of young professional students. The carefully crafted curriculum has been designed after consultation with industry experts in order to meet future qualification and skill needs in the health promotion fields. Strengths of the program include the flexibility to choose a specialization in one of eight focus areas, the option to take related minor programs of study, and the sound preparation you will receive if you later progress to a graduate program of study in an allied health field.
I invite you to consider this unique degree as your program of choice, and welcome inquiries from prospective students. I can be contacted at the address below.
Good luck with your choice and decision about university study.
-- Stafford C. Rorke, D.Phil., FACSM
- Are you interested in subjects such as exercise, nutrition, health, health promotion, business, human resource development, psychology, stress management, alternate/complementary medicine, wellness, prevention of disease, and prevention of unintentional or intentional injury?
- Do you like working with people?
- Do you like helping others?
- Would you like to work with people who are essentially healthy, but need assistance to stay healthy and prevent disease, rather than working with those who are sick and require rehabilitation?
- Are you interested in any of the careers or emerging opportunities in this field such as health and fitness technician/instructor/leader/specialist; exercise leader/trainer/specialist/director; personal trainer, health promotion or wellness coordinator/manager/director; injury prevention advocate, employee assistance manager, health benefits manager, counselor, human resources practitioner, patient educator/interpreter, patient services coordinator, health information management, health and fitness sales/equipment/marketing, computer- or health-data management, among many other occupations in this growing field?
- Do you potentially see yourself continuing to graduate school in fields such as public health, exercise science, human factors, human resource development, psychology, counseling, or executive MBA; among others related to this emerging field of study?
The curriculum provides students with a broad-based introduction to this emerging multi-disciplinary field of study and provides a specialization within one of eight focus areas: Additional Major in Psychology; general health enhancement; intervention strategies in health promotion; complementary medicine; injury prevention; exercise science; nutrition and health; and a pre-health professional option. All students should note that where a particular course is identified on the checklist, that specific course, or a direct equivalent transfer course, must be offered for the WHP degree
To access the core WHP curriculum checklist and curriculum checklist for Focus areas, please click Bachelors degree - WHP checklist. The checklist is effective Fall 2015.
- Additional Major in Psychology (targeting psycho-social issues and human health behaviors).
- General Health Enhancement (minor in psychology, plus possible additional minor).
- Health Promotion Intervention Strategies, emphasizing legislation, managed care and human resources (options for different minors possible e.g. HRD minor in training and development).
- Complementary Medicine, exploring different healing traditions (options for different minors possible).
- Injury Prevention.
- Exercise Science (minor in exercise science).
- Pre-Health Professional focus (preparation toward careers in nursing, medicine, dentistry, occupational safety and health, plus others).
- Nutrition and Health focus (minor in nutrition and health).
- WHP bachelor degree checklist effective Fall 2015
- Four-year plan and rules
- Internship list
- Useful website links for WHP students
- WHP 401 syllabus
- WHP 402 syllabus
- WHP writing policy
- WHP Student Handbook
- WHP Student Society
- Career Options - This link provides a list of skills and qualifications related to the area of health promotion and wellness, which is useful in searching for active job advertisements.
- COMMUNITY EMERGENCY RESPONSE TEAM (CERT) - This link provides information on course WHP 311 which provides training in the event of a community emergency or disaster.