255 Engineering Center
Please call for an appointment
Adviser meetings are currently by appointment only.
Welcome to the SECS Undergraduate Advising Office!
We are currently undergoing staffing changes that may result in a delay in our response to your requests. We have said goodbye to Jason Pennington as he embarks on a new adventure in his career. We appreciate your patience during these changes as we add new staff to support you.
Classes begin Sept. 1. Appointments made for Sept. 1-9 will be reserved for fall registration issues ONLY and will be limited to 20 minutes. Graduation audits, winter scheduling, and future new student appointments will begin on Sept. 19, 2016.
Closed class overrides may only be done by the course instructor. All other override requests must be submitted on the override form, which is an available in the SECS Advising Office (255 EC) or online at: https://wwwp.oakland.edu/Assets/Oakland/secs/files-and-documents/SECS-AdvisingForms/prerequisiteoverride_typeform_final.pdf.
Override requests will not be taken over the phone or through email.
Thank you for your cooperation!
Take the initiative
Our advisers are here to help you throughout your educational journey with the School of Engineering and Computer Science, but the first step can only be taken by YOU! Take the initiative and begin today by setting up an appointment with an adviser. Call (248) 370-2201.
You should also keep the following in mind:
- Be aware of important deadlines.
- Understand requirements for your major and degree.
- Learn to make decisions. Advisers can present options, but you must make the decisions.
- Ask questions if anything is unclear.
Schedule your advising appointment early before registration begins.
- Prepare a list of questions or concerns before your appointment.
- Bring your plan of study; bring copies of other relevant materials.
- Write down your current schedule and a tentative plan for the next semester.
- If you are a transfer student, bring a copy of your transfer credit evaluation or transcripts.
- Keep copies of your relevant academic records.
- Follow through on referrals and recommendations made during the advising session.
- Consult with your academic adviser before making drastic changes to an agreed-upon schedule.
- Be aware of important deadlines, policies, and procedures. Read the academic catalog, especially the part about academic policies and procedures.
- Make final decisions and take responsibility for your academic success.
Read the academic catalog, especially the part about academic policies and procedures.
The academic advisers at the School of Engineering and Computer Science provide students and potential students with important educational, procedural and informational support. Our advisers are knowledgeable about the university’s policies and procedures, the requirements for successful enrollment within the school, and the best ways to achieve your educational goals at OU.
Our academic advisers can:
- help you prepare for and plan your academic career
- provide you with educational and career counseling
- empower you with relevant and vital information regarding your degree program, opportunities to become more involved at OU and different student support services
- help you reach your full potential as you pursue your educational and career goals
The team at the School of Engineering and Computer Science Advising Office is here to help you. Call (248) 370-2201 to set up an appointment.
Director, SECS Advising
Download, electronically complete, print, sign and submit the Undergraduate Student Forms to the Academic Advising Office (255 Engineering Center).
Undergraduate Student Forms
- Change of Major
- Major Standing Application
- Petition of Exception
- Course Prerequisite Waiver Request
- Course Override Request
- Preliminary Graduation Review
- Request to Enroll in Graduate Course
- Register for Special Topics (LAB) Course
Undergraduate Plans of Study
- Plan of Study: Computer Engineering
- Plan of Study: Computer Science
- Plan of Study: Electrical Engineering
- Plan of Study: Bioengineering
- Plan of Study: Engineering Chemistry
- Plan of Study: Engineering Physics
- Plan of Study: Industrial and Systems Engineering
- Plan of Study: Information Technology
- Plan of Study: Mechanical Engineering
Other SECS Forms