2200 N. Squirrel Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4401
Fax: (248) 370-3175
An Application for Michigan Notary Public Appointment must be completed (form is available on the Michigan Department of State website) and a copy submitted to the Purchasing Department - attention Eileen Arseneau. The Purchasing Department will procure a surety bond in the amount of $10,000 and will contact you directly once the bond has been received.
You must then submit the application form, the surety bond and a $10 nonrefundable processing fee to:
Michigan Department of State
Office of the Great Seal
7064 Crowner Blvd.
Lansing, MI 48918
To become commissioned as a Michigan notary public, an individual must meet the following State of Michigan requirements:
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Be a Michigan resident or maintain a place of business in Michigan;
- Be a U.S. citizen or possess proof of legal presence;
- Be a resident of the county (or maintain a principle place of business) in which you request appointment;
- Read and write in the English language;
- Be free of any felony convictions, misdemeanor convictions, or violations as specified;
- Have filed with the appropriate county clerk a proper surety bond in the amount of $10,000 and taken the oath of office as prescribed by the constitution;
- Sign a declaration that all information on application is correct, that you have read and understand the laws, and that you will perform all notarial acts faithfully;
- Not be imprisoned in any state, county or federal correctional facility;
- Notary public commissions expire at the end of 6 years depending on the notary’s birth date. The exact length depends on the date of appointment and the date of birth. You must re-apply each time. If you wish another appointment, you must apply for a new commission 4 to 6 weeks before your current commission expires.