With more than 40 faculty and staff members who are veterans themselves, Oakland University understands and supports the unique needs of student veterans returning to college life.
Veteran Certification Office Hours
|Monday||8 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Tuesday||8 a.m. - 4 p.m|
|Wednesday||By Appointment Only|
|Thursday||8 a.m. - 4 p.m|
|Friday||8 a.m. - 4 p.m|
(248) 364-VETS (8387)
100 O'Dowd Hall
Apply to OU
Prospective students can apply online for free. Please read more about application requirements and procedures for undergraduate students or graduate students. In addition to your admissions requirements, if you are using VA or other military benefits, you are required to submit a Joint Services Transcript or Air University (formerly CCAF).
Eligibility and Benefits
- VA GI Bill comparison chart
- Michigan Veteran Affairs Agency benefit summary
Contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for specific questions on current rates, amount of benefits and what benefits you are eligible for.
Request for Certification
The following are required for the certification process:
- If you are certifying for Chapter 1606 or 1607, a copy of the veteran’s Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
- If you are certifying for Chapter 30, 33 or 35, a Veteran’s DD-214 discharge papers (Member 4 copy)
- If you are using Chapter 31, VA Form 28‐1905, which will be sent from your case manager
- Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from VA
- a Request for VA Enrollment Certification Form
- a signed 0.0 Reporting Form
- an OUVA Student Record Form
Students can receive detailed financial information for up to three schools at one time by accessing the Paying for College website.
Students can obtain information about a school’s tuition and fees, retention and graduation rates, use of financial aid, student loan default rates, calculate costs and compare schools by accessing College Navigator.
If transferring from another institution or changing your major, you must notify the VA by filling out the Change of Program form, 22-1995 (22-5495 for Chapter 35 recipients). This form can be picked up at the Office of the Registrar or the application can be completed online. Submit this form to the school to which you are transferring your benefits (changing schools) or to the Office of the Registrar.