O'Dowd Hall, Room 100
586 Pioneer Drive
Rochester, MI 48309-4482
(248) 370-3450
Registrar Services fax: (248) 370-3890
Academic Records: fax: (248) 370-2586
Office Hours:
M-F 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

New Students

With more than 40 faculty and staff members who are veterans themselves, Oakland University understands and supports the unique needs of student veterans returning to college life.OU is a military friendly school

Veteran Certification Office Hours

Monday8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Tuesday8 a.m. - 4 p.m
WednesdayBy appointment only
Thursday8 a.m. - 4 p.m
Friday8 a.m. - 4 p.m

Contact Us
(248) 364-VETS (8387)
100 O'Dowd Hall

Apply and Certification

Apply to OU

Prospective students can apply online for free. Please read more about application requirements and procedures for undergraduate students or graduate students. In addition to your admissions requirements, if you are using VA or other military benefits, you are required to submit a Joint Services Transcript or Air University (formerly CCAF).

Eligibility and Benefits

Contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs for specific questions on current rates, amount of benefits and what benefits you are eligible for.

Request for Certification

The following are required for the certification process:

  • If you are certifying for Chapter 1606 or 1607, a copy of the veteran’s Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE)
  • If you are certifying for Chapter 30, 33 or 35, a Veteran’s DD-214 discharge papers (Member 4 copy)
  • If you are using Chapter 31, VA Form 28‐1905, which will be sent from your case manager
  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from VA
  • Request for VA Enrollment Certification Form
  • a signed 0.0 Reporting Form 
  • an OUVA Student Record Form 
Tuition and Costs

Compare Costs. All veteran students and students using VA benefits pay in-state tuition rates. OU is the only institution in the State of Michigan that does not charge any fees.

Prospective students and their families can use the College Scorecard to evaluate options in selecting a college.  

Students can receive detailed financial information for up to three schools at one time by accessing the Paying for College website.

Students can obtain information about a school’s tuition and fees, retention and graduation rates, use of financial aid, student loan default rates, calculate costs and compare schools by accessing College Navigator.

More information can be found for the College Scorecard, Paying for College and the College Navigator can be found here.

Transferring Students

If transferring from another institution or changing your major, you must notify the VA by filling out the Change of Program form, 22-1995 (22-5495 for Chapter 35 recipients). This form can be picked up at the Office of the Registrar or the application can be completed online. Submit this form to the school to which you are transferring your benefits (changing schools) or to the Office of the Registrar.