Registrar Services Location

North Foundation Hall, Room 160
318 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4454
(location map)
(248) 370-3450

Office Hours:
M-F 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Office of the Registrar

O'Dowd Hall, Room 100
586 Pioneer Drive
Rochester, MI 48309-4482
(location map)
Fax: (248) 370-2586



Transfer students receive a preliminary evaluation of coursework completed at other institutions by mail within a few weeks of admission. This evaluation shows the total number of credits awarded for each institution as well as how those credits apply to degree requirements. Transfer credit will be posted to your academic record after admission to Oakland University and upon receipt of an official transcript sent directly from the previous institution(s).

A final evaluation showing how transfer credits apply to major program requirements is completed by the academic unit of your declared major. Meet with your academic adviser to obtain a copy of this final evaluation.

For detailed information on transfer policies and procedures, see the undergraduate and graduate catalog. Students also are advised to read appropriate sections of the catalog to learn the policies of schools in which they may be degree candidates. Individual academic units may impose particular limitations on transfer credits.

Transfer Credits and Tuition Assessment
Tuition assessment is based on a student’s class standing, residency and the number of credits enrolled. If transfer credits entered into your academic record change your class standing from sophomore to junior mid-semester, the tuition for the current semester will reassess from the lower level tuition rate to the upper level tuition rate. The reassessment will cause new tuition charges to be assessed which will be due on the next scheduled payment due date. If you are enrolled in a payment plan, the additional tuition assessed will be divided equally among any remaining payment plan installments.

For information on tuition rates, payment due dates, payment plans, cancellation, financial aid and more, visit the Student Financial Services website.

Students from community colleges
Students transferring from a two-year college may transfer in a maximum of one-half the number of credits required for completion of a specific baccalaureate program. Additional credit may be transferred from regionally accredited four-year institutions. At least 32 credits must be earned at Oakland University.

Upon a student’s initial entry to the university (or upon readmission after a lapse of six years or more), courses taken at a two-year institution may be accepted to satisfy requirements even though the rule limiting community college credit may prevent the acceptance of any credits from such courses. A continuing student at OU who has reached this credit limit may not receive additional credit from a two-year institution.

View  current transfer equivalency information for most Michigan community colleges in the  equivalency by course tab. Look up  current transfer equivalencies for a specific major or program in the  program guides tab.

Students from four-year institutions
Oakland University accepts students from four-year institutions and generally does not limit the amount of credit transferred from those institutions. Certain remedial courses generally will not be accepted, nor will religion courses offered by religiously affiliated post-secondary schools.

Current OU students
Current Oakland University students who have completed coursework elsewhere should have an official transcript mailed by the guest institution directly to Oakland University's Office of Academic Records. Contact your  academic adviser at OU to receive a copy of the final evaluation. View  current transfer equivalency information for most Michigan community colleges in the  equivalency by course tab. Look up  current transfer equivalencies for a specific major or program in the  program guides tab.

Students transferring credit from international institutions
Students whose prior academic experience includes coursework completed outside the United States or Canada also must provide an evaluation from a credentials evaluation service. For additional information or a list of such services, please contact  undergraduate or  graduate admissions.

Transferring credit to other institutions
Oakland University students wishing to transfer credits to another institution should request an  official transcript.
By Course

Oakland University’s online Transfer Credit Evaluator (TCE) is undergoing a major redevelopment to be more comprehensive, efficient and user-friendly.

A temporary solution is currently available below, which lists all partnering institutions by geographic region and their course equivalencies.

If you’re a prospective student and have questions about the temporary solution, please contact Undergraduate Admissions at (800) OAK-UNIV. If you’re a current student and have questions about the temporary solution, please contact the Registrar’s Office at (248) 370-3450.


The TCE contains course equivalency information for community colleges and four year institutions. Courses must be completed with a minimum grade of 2.0 or equivalent to be transferable. The course equivalency information listed in the evaluator is subject to change.

Select the Geographical Region report below. Once you have selected the report, you can search the PDF by institution, course subject or any key word. To search the PDF, hit "Control" and "F" (or "Command" and "F" on Mac). A search box will appear where you will enter in your key word (e.g., Macomb). Please note the load time to display results may take a few minutes to process. View our transfer credit evaluator tips for more information on how to navigate the tool below.

Please note: The OU course equivalencies available here are intended for reference purposes. Oakland University course equivalencies are subject to change. The inclusion or exclusion of courses does not guarantee applicability of transfer courses to a degree program. 

Please select the appropriate geographical region report below:

Michigan Institutions:
Adrian College
Albion College
Alma College
Alpena Cmty College
Andrews University
Aquinas College-Grand Rpds MI
Art Institute of MI-Novi-Troy
Baker College
Bay De Noc Cmty College
Bay Mills Cmty College
Calvin College
Central Michigan University
Charles S Mott Cmty College
Cleary College
College for Creative Studies
Concordia College - MI
Cornerstone University
Davenport Univ Grand Rapids
Davenport Warren
Delta College
Detroit Coll Business Dearborn
Eastern Michigan University
Ferris State University
Finlandia University
Glen Oaks Cmty College
Gogebic Cmty College
Grace Bible College
Grand Rapids Cmty College
Grand Valley State University
Great Lakes Christian College
Henry Ford College
Highland Park Cmty College
Hillsdale College
Hope College
ITT Technical Inst Troy MI
Jackson College
Kalamazoo College
Kalamazoo Valley Cmty College
Kellogg Cmty College
Kendall Col Art&Des
Kettering University
Kirtland Cmty College
Lake Michigan College
Lake Superior State University
Lansing Cmty College
Lawrence Tech University
Lewis College Business
Macomb Cmty Coll Center Campus
Madonna University
Marygrove College
Michigan Jewish Institute
Michigan State University
Michigan Tech University
Mid-Michigan Cmty College
Monroe County Cmty College
Montcalm Cmty College
Muskegon Cmty College
North Central Michigan College
Northern Michigan University
Northwestern Michigan College
Northwood University - MI
Oakland Cmty College
Olivet College
Rochester College
Sacred Heart Major Seminary
Saginaw Valley State Univ
Schoolcraft College
Siena Heights University
South University - Novi Campus
Southwestern Michigan College
Spring Arbor University
St Clair Co Cmty College
St Marys College Mi
Univ Detroit Mercy
Univ Michigan Ann Arbor
Univ Michigan Dearborn
Univ Michigan Flint
Walsh Coll Accntncy Business
Washtenaw Cmty College
Wayne County Cmty College
Wayne State University
West Shore Cmty College
Western Michigan University
William Tyndale College


Transfer guides are designed for students seeking first-time transfer to Oakland University; they detail how requirements may be met by that transfer institution alone. While students who have earned credits from multiple institutions may find the guides useful, it is suggested that they also consult with an OU adviser who will take into consideration their entire body of coursework when recommending courses to take.

Look up current transfer equivalencies for an Oakland University major or program. Select the college and then the program to download a program guide. Based on current transfer equivalencies and current program requirements, the guide provides suggested courses to take at the community college if you plan to transfer into this program at Oakland. Consult with counselors at the community college or academic advisers at OU when planning a transfer program.

Things to know before transferring: Learn how to transfer at

  1. Students may transfer one-half of the credits required for a baccalaureate degree.
  2. Students who complete 3-credit-courses may be required to enroll in additional course credits to reach the required minimums for Oakland University
  3. Courses that transfer in as equivalent to 3000-4000 level, will not count toward Oakland University upper level requirement.
  4. Please reference the Transfer Agreements tab for more information on how to transfer general education requirements through Michigan Transfer Agreement and MACRAO Transfer Agreement.
  5. If you do not see a program guide for your intended major, please utilize the new degree audit tool, Degree Works, along with the Equivalency by Course tool, to plan your transfer.
  6. To learn more about what you can do with your OU major, visit our career tool.

Oakland University participates in the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) and Michigan Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers (MACRAO) Articulation Agreement. Both agreements allow students to satisfy the university’s general education requirements at a Michigan community college, with the exception of a writing intensive course in the major and a capstone course. In addition, students must either transfer in a course for the knowledge applications requirement or take a course at Oakland University.

Under the MTA and MACRAO agreements, students from participating Michigan public community colleges must present for review a transcript bearing the “MTA Satisfied” or “MACRAO Agreement Satisfied” designation.

Michigan Transfer Agreement
To fulfill the Michigan Transfer Agreement, you must successfully complete at least 30 credits, with at least a 2.0 (or equivalent) grade in each course. These credits, which will be certified by a Michigan community college, should be met according to the following distribution:
  • 1 course in English Composition (A second course in English Composition or 1 course in Communications. Oakland University strongly recommends that you take the community college equivalent of WRT 1060.)
  • 1 course in Mathematics
  • 2 courses in Social Sciences (from two disciplines)
  • 2 courses in Humanities and Fine Arts (from two disciplines and excluding studio and performance classes)
  • 2 courses in Natural Sciences including one with laboratory experience (from two disciplines)
Note: If these courses do not add up to 30 hours, then you must take an additional course from one of these groups.

MACRAO Transfer Agreement
After summer 2019, students will no longer be able to pursue the MACRAO Transfer Agreement, but it will be honored at Oakland University forever. Starting in fall 2014, community college students should pursue the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA).

A minimum of 30 semester hours of coursework must be taken at one of Michigan’s participating community colleges. The courses needed to satisfy the MACRAO requirements are as follows:
  • English Composition – 6 credit hours
  • Science and Math – 8 credit hours (Courses must be taken from a minimum of two subject areas. At least one science course must include a laboratory.)
  • Social Science – 8 credit hours (Courses must be taken from a minimum of two subject areas.)
  • Humanities – 8 credit hours (Courses must be taken from a minimum of two subject areas.)
Note: You must earn an average of 2.0 (or equivalent) grade in all courses.

Reverse Transfer
Kalamazoo Valley Community College, Macomb Community College, Mott Community College,  Oakland Community College, Schoolcraft College, and St. Clair County Community College now offer reverse transfer. Reverse transfer involves reviewing credits earned at the 4-year college or university to determine if you are eligible for an associate degree at the community college you attended.
Transfer Course
Review Requests

Students planning to take a future transfer course or requesting the re-evaluation of a course have the following options:

  • If you are seeking to fulfill a course requirement from a professional school (i.e. SBA, SECS, SEHS, SHS, or SON), please inquire with the appropriate academic advising office.

ˆNote: This form is compatible with the most recent versions of Chrome and Firefox.