Oakland University invites nominations and applications for the position of Director of Athletics.
Oakland University, a NCAA Division I institution, has played an integral role in the growth and development of Southeast Michigan and the State of Michigan. By preparing tomorrow’s leaders, advancing research, fostering academic excellence and engaging with business, educational and community partners, Oakland has been a catalyst for significant growth opportunities and inspired leadership.
In seeking the new Director of Athletics, Oakland University is searching for an individual who will lead an institution that competes with excellence both academically and athletically. This leader will have a unique opportunity to build upon the tradition and success of the past 50 years of athletics and create a vision for the future within the region, the conference and the NCAA.
Oakland University is an Affirmative Action/ Equal Opportunity Employer.
A member of the Horizon League, Oakland University competes in 18 NCAA Division I intercollegiate sports. Oakland competes in baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s golf, men’s and women’s soccer, men’s and women’s swimming and diving, softball, women’s tennis, men’s and women’s indoor/outdoor track and field, women’s volleyball.
The Golden Grizzlies are no strangers to NCAA tournaments and league championships. Oakland won a total of 73 Summit League championships in 14 years of competition and made 37 NCAA championship appearances. The Golden Grizzlies led the league in Academic All-League selections in their final eight seasons of competition in the conference.
In July 2013, Oakland University joined the Horizon League to compete with other institutions with outstanding academic and athletic profiles.
Reporting to the University President, the Director of Athletics directs all aspects of the NCAA Division I Intercollegiate Athletics Program including but not limited to:
- Developing, implementing, and managing a strategic vision for the Athletics program.
- Ensuring the highest standards in academic achievement and personal development of student-athletes.
- Hiring and evaluating staff.
- Overseeing and directing the budget.
- Initiating and directing revenue enhancement programs for athletics including fundraising and marketing
- Ensuring full compliance with the laws, policies, rules and regulations governing Oakland University and its employees, as well as the rules of the NCAA and the Horizon League.
- Representing and participating in all NCAA and Horizon League functions.
- Managing all athletics venues, including scheduling of games and events.
- Serving as liaison for the Athletics Program to the University's facilities department, the department of campus recreation, and classroom support and technical services.
- Bachelor's Degree required, Master's preferred.
- Demonstrated commitment to integrity and rules compliance.
- Comprehensive understanding of all facets of NCAA Division I Athletics with a minimum of 5 years of senior level management experience, preferably in intercollegiate athletics and at the NCAA Division I level.
- Proven ability to communicate effectively with others.
- Demonstrated organizational and analytical skills.
- Commitment to and knowledge of NCAA compliance and University regulations.
The position will remain open until filled; for best consideration, applicants are encouraged to submit as soon as possible a letter of application and resume electronically to: OaklandAD@collegiatesportsassociates.com. No hard copy applications will be accepted. Nominations for the position and questions concerning the job requirements or hiring process should be directed to OaklandAD@collegiatesportsassociates.com.