770 Temporary and Casual Employees
|SUBJECT:||TEMPORARY AND CASUAL EMPLOYEES|
|AUTHORIZING BODY:||PRESIDENT’S COUNCIL|
|RESPONSIBLE OFFICE:||UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCES|
|DATE ISSUED:||APRIL 1996|
|LAST UPDATE:||JUNE 2011|
RATIONALE: The purpose of this policy is to provide guidance to the Oakland University (University) community filling Temporary and Casual staff positions.
POLICY: Temporary Employees are hired to supplement regular staff either by filling in for temporary vacancies or to complete special projects. Casual Employees are hired to supplement regular staff. A ll Temporary and Casual position vacancies are filled in accordance with relevant OU policies, Collective Bargaining Agreements (CBA) and are consistent with applicable laws.
SCOPE AND APPLICABILITY: This policy applies to all administrators, faculty, and staff who have responsibilities for hiring Casual or Temporary Employees.
Casual Employee: An employee who works 19 hours per week or less, but the duration of their employment is not limited a Casual Employee may also hold an on-call schedule.
1. Employment Laws: Temporary/Casual Employees are subject to the same employment laws as regular employees. Hiring departments must comply with University policies and employment laws.
2. Personnel Requisition: Departments are responsible for processing Temporary/Casual Employment requisitions in the TEAMS system in advance of the proposed start date. It is imperative that all hiring documents are complete and approved by all parties including University Human Resources (UHR) prior to the Temporary/Casual Employee beginning work. Failure to do so may result in audits, loss of funding and severe fines to the University. The department committing the offense will pay for any fines imposed to the University.
3. Budget: Departments are responsible for ensuring they have sufficient budget to cover Temporary/Casual Employee costs.
4. Pay Rates: Departments are encouraged to consult with UHR regarding pay rates. Temporary/Casual Employees are paid at an hourly rate for each hour actually worked.
5. Pay Schedules: Temporary/Casual Employees are paid bi-weekly and are required to complete time sheets. Rare exceptions are made to hire monthly Casual Employees which require UHR prior approval.
6. Benefits: Neither Temporary Employees nor Casual Employees are eligible for OU benefits including, but not limited to, health care benefits, retirement benefits, tuition reimbursement, paid time off, paid vacation time, personal time, sick time, emergency closing, or holiday pay.
7. Physical Examinations: Candidates for Temporary and Casual positions who will be performing physical labor are required to pass the University approved physical examination before employment.
8. Posting Requirements: Although not required, Temporary and/or Casual positions may be posted under the University Staff Position Openings site.
9. Background Verifications: Temporary/Casual Employees must undergo criminal background verification prior to beginning work. The time period the selected applicant has resided/worked in Michigan and type of position held will determine the type of background verification required, which includes but is not limited to criminal, credit and driving record checks. An offer of employment will not be extended until the background verification(s) has been deemed acceptable by the Employment Services Office Manager or designee.
10. Authorization to Work: Upon completion of all hiring documents, UHR will notify the department with authorization to allow the Temporary/Casual Employee to begin working. Allowing the employee to begin work without authorization is prohibited.
Temporary and Casual Employees are not eligible to be considered internal candidates as outlined in OU AP&P # 704 Internal Promotions and Transfers.
11. Personnel Files: UHR is charged with the maintenance of official employment records of all staff employees. An employee may inspect the contents of his/her personnel file during University normal business hours by filing a written request to review their file. Requests are generally honored within twenty-four (24) hours.
12. Temporary and Casual Employees may also be hired via a temporary services vendor. Departments who elect to use an external vendor will not follow the internal hiring process. Procedures listed above as # 2, 4, 5, and 8 do not apply. All time limits, hours and other work related rules apply to persons hired by the temporary services vendor. The vendor is responsible for conducting background verifications and setting the payrates. Services are paid through the accounts payable process. For additional information on using an external staffing vendor please reference the Purchasing Department web site.
RELATED POLICIES AND FORMS:
OU AP&P #1170 Student Employment.