- Business and Finance
- 200 Authorized Signers
- 206 Cellular Phones
- 207 Business Expenditures
- 208 Business Meals and Hosting Expense
- 210 Cash Receipts
- 212 Bankcard Information Security Requirements
- 218 Entry Data Standards for Sungard Higher Education Banner Users
- 225 Funding Positions - Regulations and Procedures
- 240 Interdepartmental Charges (IDC)
- 257 Moving Expenses
- 262 Tax Classifications - Independent Contractor vs. Employee
- 266 Petty Cash
- 270 Sales and Use Tax on Rental Property
- 275 Special Checks
- Facilities and Property
- 300 Air Conditioning and Heating
- 310 Building Alterations, Renovations and/or Modifications
- 315 Routine Maintenance, Capital Asset Management, and Miscellaneous Facilities Management Departmental Services
- 320 Campus Signs
- 350 Key Control
- 360 Property Management
- 365 Surplus Property Disposal
- 370 Use of Oakland University Facilities
- 380 Work Orders
- 400 Alcoholic Beverages
- 402 Exceptions to Administrative Policies and Procedures
- 403 Alumni Relations
- 406 Conflict of Interest Policy
- 409 The Constitution of The Oakland University Senate
- 410 Contracting and Employment Appointment Authority
- 412 Detection of and Response to Identity Theft Red Flags
- 415 Distribution of Materials on Campus
- 423 Flags at Half-Staff
- 430 Freedom Of Information Act
- 435 Games of Chance Procedures
- 455 Death of Faculty, Staff and Retiree and Floral Tributes
- 460 Oakland University Memorial Grove
- 465 Patent Policy And Procedures
- 470 Release of Student Educational Records
- 475 Non-Smoking Policy
- 480 University Archives
- 481 Records Retention and Disposal
- 482 University Closing
- 483 Parking During A Snow Emergency
- 486 University Posting Policy
- 490 Vending And Game Machine Placement Policy
- 491 Vending Machine Financial Policy
- Communications and Marketing
- Gifts and Grants
- Health and Safety
- 605 Crisis Management Team
- 610 Driving Practices and Standards
- 615 Animals in University Facilities and on University Grounds
- 620 Environmental Health and Fire Safety
- 640 Oakland University Ordinances
- 642 Police Department-Parking Regulations
- 648 Police Department-Vehicles On Campus Sidewalks And Lawns
- 655 Radio Communications Systems
- 674 Surveillance and Monitoring Technology
- 675 Safety and Security Alarm Systems
- Human Resources
- 704 Internal Promotions and Transfers
- 706 Termination/Leave of Absence/Layoff and Return
- 710 Administrative Guidelines Prohibiting Discrimination
- 711 Guidelines for Handling Discrimination Complaints
- 712 Administrative Guidelines Supporting the Equal Opportunity Policy
- 718 Employment of High School Students and Minors
- 725 Filling Vacancies Of Non-Faculty Positions
- 750 Oakland University Faculty Hiring Procedures
- 770 Temporary and Casual Employees
- Information Technology
- Purchasing and Risk Management
- University Services
475 Non-Smoking Policy
|AUTHORIZING BODY:||VICE PRESIDENT FOR FINANCE & ADMINISTRATION|
|RESPONSIBLE OFFICE:||ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH & SAFETY|
|DATE ISSUED:||FEBRUARY 1990|
|LAST UPDATE:||NOVEMBER 2012|
RATIONALE: The University recognizes that Tobacco use and exposure to secondhand smoke is a significant health hazard. Tobacco smoke has been identified as a Group A carcinogen (cancer-causing agent) and studies have shown that there is no safe level of exposure to Tobacco smoke.
This policy is established to promote public health and to provide for Oakland University's compliance with the Michigan Indoor Clean Air Act (P.A. 1986, No. 84, MCLA 333.12616 et.seq.); P.A. 368 of 1978 as amended, MCLA 333.12905, concerning eating establishments; Sec. 20 of P.A. 227 of 1967, MCLA 408.820, concerning elevators; and Michigan’s Dr. Ron Davis Law, MCLA 333.12603 et seq.
POLICY: Smoking is prohibited on all University owned or operated Campuses and Grounds, and in all University owned or operated Buildings and vehicles.
SCOPE AND APPLICABILITY: This Policy applies to all University faculty, students, staff, contractors, vendors and visitors, and applies to all University owned or operated property except for the private residences in the Meadow Brook Subdivision.
Building means all enclosed, indoor areas owned or operated by Oakland University.
Campuses means any physical site owned or operated by Oakland University.
Grounds means property owned and/or operated by Oakland University.
Smoking means the burning of a lighted cigar, cigarette, pipe or any other matter or substance that contains Tobacco.
Tobacco means a product that contains Tobacco and is intended for human consumption, including, but not limited to, cigarettes cigars, pipes, and other non-cigarette Smoking Tobacco.
1. All employees share in the responsibility for adhering to this policy and encouraging others to do so.
2. “No Smoking” signs or the international “No Smoking” symbol shall be clearly and conspicuously posted according to law and following the guidelines of the Michigan Department of Public Health.
3. Enforcement of this policy is the responsibility of all. Existing disciplinary policies may be used as appropriate.
Persons violating this policy will be subject to discipline as with other violations of University policies, regulations, and rules. State law also provides for a civil fine of not more than $100 for a first violation and a fine of no more than $500 for a second or subsequent violation of the Michigan Indoor Clean Air Act (MCLA 333.12601 et. seq.)
4. After review by the Environmental Health and Safety Department, the President may offer an exception to this policy. No exception may contradict any federal, state or local fire regulation.
For assistance in interpreting this policy, please contact the Office of Environmental Health and Safety at (248) 370-4196.
RELATED POLICIES AND FORMS: