2200 N. Squirrel Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4401
fax: (248) 370-4605
fax: (248) 370-4095
Master of Education in Teacher Leadership
- 30 credits leading to a masters’ degree
- Two-year, cohort-based model
- Hybrid coursework consisting of Saturday classes plus online coursework
- Teacher-driven action research using data to improve student achievement
- The classroom as a learning laboratory
- Encouragement to try formal and informal leadership roles
- Emphasis on developing classroom expertise through the study of instruction and assessment, effective use of technology, cultural awareness and social justice.
The knowledge, skills and dispositions we seek to develop in teacher leaders must reflect and sustain the following core competencies. Our vision is to create a world-class teacher leadership program that transforms schools into successful and leaderful learning communities.
- Quality education and education leadership are central to promoting social justice and diversity central to ethical leadership;
- Excellent leadership development and preparation will nurture not only knowledge, but also critical reflection and professionally responsive behaviors;
- Collaboration and teamwork involving all members of the organization are essential to support quality schools;
- Action research and learning that is embedded in authentic school contexts, case-studies and problem based learning offers diverse opportunities to develop leadership skills and is central to the coursework; and
- Commitment to data collection and ongoing data analysis are essential to capturing what is known and needed to eradicate achievement gap chasms.
- Submission of a goal statement;
- Two letters of recommendation;
- Official transcripts; and
A teaching certificate.
EST 517 Teacher Leader as Highly Effective Instructor - 3 credits
EL 507 Foundations of Leadership - 3 credits
EST 518 Teacher Leader as Collaborative Practitioner - 3 credits
EL 508 Collaborative Leadership - 3 credits
EST 617 Action Research in Your Classroom - 3 credits
EL 607 Technology for Leadership - 3 credits
EST 618 Action Research in Your School - 3 credits
EL 608 Teacher Leader as Change Agent for Equitable Schools - 3 credits
EST 619 Leadership for Professional Learning - 3 credits
EL 609 Teacher Leaders in the Education Profession - 3 credits