Adviser for Pre-nursing students: Nick Hooper
Adviser for Admitted Transfer Students
Adviser for Admitted and direct-admit students: Sarah Mullin
Nursing is a dynamic health care profession characterized by rapid and continuous change. In order for a nurse to maximize upon potential career opportunities as well as have the educational foundation for career advancement, a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree is needed. Demand for professional registered nurses is escalating with positions available across the health care spectrum, e.g. in hospitals, birthing centers, long-term care facilities, community health centers, and home care.
The Oakland University School of Nursing Undergraduate Program Basic-BSN track provides students with a diverse range of clinical experiences throughout Southeastern Michigan, and is designed to develop nurses who are able to critically think, use evidence to develop, implement, and evaluate patient-centered nursing care, and who are ready to advance in their professional nursing careers. Please refer to the program flyer for additional information.
The Basic-BSN track will:
- provide students with a nursing education that meets the highest standards of the profession.
- foster professional development by emphasizing the use of the nursing process as the critical thinking framework for developing, implementing, and evaluating patient-centered care across the lifespan.
- facilitate the development of clinical decision-making skills based on ethical, legal, and cultural perspectives.
- integrate the concepts of evidence based practice into nursing care delivery.
- prepare students to be successful on the NCLEX-RN.
- nurture a commitment to lifelong learning and prepare students for further education at the graduate level.
- Competitive admission: Competitive admission to the School of Nursing Undergraduate Program Basic-BSN track is for students who have satisfied the nursing pre-requisite courses. In addition to the admission requirements, applicants must be in good academic standing in the university (minimum overall GPA of 2.0). Completion of minimum requirements does not guarantee admission.
- Direct admission: Direct admission to the Oakland University School of Nursing Undergraduate Program Basic-BSN track is for students coming directly from high school.