Practical Nurse (LPN Certification)
Successful completion of this examination qualifies the graduate for licensure as a Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) and the ability to practice in the State of Michigan.
Mail or drop-off all applications at the Focus: HOPE campus
Oakland University School of Nursing - Continuing Education
1360 Oakman Blvd.
Detroit, MI 48238
|Admission Dates||Application Deadline|
|Winter classes - January 2017||November 15, 2016|
|Spring/Summer classes - May 2017||March 15, 2017|
|Fall classes - September 2017||June 15, 2017|
Program Duration: Full-time, 1 year program
- High school diploma or GED
- Goal Statement: Typed; 1 pg. or 500 words stating your career and education goals.
- Official college transcripts showing completion of prerequisites:
- Anatomy and Physiology I & II
- Fundamentals of Nutrition
- Lifespan Development
(To check to see if you have the right prerequisites, click here)
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (1 personal and 1 professional)
- CPR Certification
- TEAS V test (You must score over 58% "Proficient")
- Criminal Background check - More information
- Drug screen (5 panel)
As a student in our programs, you will be responsible for paying your tuition at the time of registration or by the due date of your payment plan. Tuition assistance should be discussed with a Student Services Coordinator after you have been admitted into your program of choice.
FAFSA will not be available for our continuing education programs, however, there are other resources available for students pursuing a certification or license at Oakland University.
For more information on how you can pay your tuition - How can I pay my tuition?
You can also learn more about current funding opportunities here.
LPN participants approved for the LPN payment plan will use the Oakland University eBill system to make their payments. Specific information regarding payment using Ebill can be found at the following link: oakland.edu/billingandpayment.
For additional information regarding the program, please click here for our Program Overview or Frequently Asked Questions.
Acceptance into the program is determined by a first-come first-served basis. Admits to the program are in January, May and September.
January - November 15
May - March 15
September - June 15
You must submit all materials described below and meet the criteria as stated in order to be eligible for possible acceptance. Please note pre-requisite courses should be complete or in the final semester prior to applying to the Practical Nurse program. The School of Nursing & Continuing Education will notify the student on an individual basis once he/she is eligible to take the TEAS V test.
The following items need to be mailed together in an envelope to the address below for review before acceptance into the Oakland University School of Nursing and Continuing Education Program.
- Practical Nurse (PN) Application
- Goal Statement (500 words, typed)
- Criminal background check
- Drug screen
- Health assessment / up-to-date immunization records
- High School Diploma or GED
- College transcripts (Pre-requisite courses)
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (one personal, one professional)
- Any certifications, including Certified Nurse Assistant (if applicable)
- TEAS Test