Practical Nursing (LPN Certification)
Having issues logging into e-space?
- Go to https://espace.oakland.edu/login/index.php and log in using your NetID and password.
- Once you've logged in, click on the "Site home" link located in the left hand navigation.
- In the text field located at the bottom right, labeled "Search courses", type in "Percussion Training", and click "Go".
- Click on the "Percussion Content Management System Training" link at the top of the page.
- If an "Enroll me" button is presented, click on it. If there is not an "Enroll me" button, you are already enrolled, and may proceed to the next step.
At this point you should see the access assessment, training manual, and training videos; you are all set.
Thank you for your interest in the Oakland University Practical Nurse and Certified Nurse Assistant Continuing Education programs. Please note that we are not admitting students at this time. The current programs are undergoing revisions and hope to continue in our current location at Focus:HOPE in Detroit. We will post information as soon as classes open. Please click on the link below to leave your contact information.
If you would like to be contacted, please fill out the information below and someone will respond to you shortly.
Acceptance into the program is determined by a first-come first-served basis. There are approximately 40 students admitted per cohort. You must submit all materials described below and meet the criteria as stated in order to be eligible for possible acceptance.
You will receive notification of submission via email within 48 hours of receipt and the application process will begin. However, if there are any missing items, your application will not be processed. Notification will be made via email of any missing items from incomplete packages. Once the cohort is full, further applications will be reviewed, as received, for placement in a future cohort.
Completed application packages will be reviewed and notification of acceptance will be within 30 days from submission by email and U.S. mail. A letter will be sent to all applicants indicating either acceptance into the cohort, and which cohort, or not accepted into the program. Candidates that are not accepted are welcome to reapply at a future date. Please Note: Once accepted, a $120 non-refundable seat security deposit is required. You have 30 days from the date marked on your acceptance letter to reserve your seat. If this deposit is not made, your seat will be forfeited and filled by another student.
The following items need to be mailed together in an envelope to the address below for review before acceptance into the Riverview Institute of Oakland University’s Practical Nursing Program can be considered:
- Practical Nurse (PN) Application.pdf
- Goal Statement
- High School Diploma or GED
- College transcripts (if applicable)
- Two (2) letters of recommendation (one personal, one professional)
- Any certifications, including Certified Nurse Assistant (if applicable)
- ACT testing scores (Composite score of at least 17)
- ACT testing scores can be waived if you have more than 25 college credit hours, with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher or an Associate or higher level degree with GPA of 2.0. You may schedule to take the ACT test in your local community (links are available on our website) and have your scores sent directly to Oakland University (school code #230700). You are required to take the basic ACT test only; the writing portion is not required.
- TABE/Work Keys Scores (Only if funding approved by NWLB – MWA)
Once accepted into the program, you will receive an acceptance package which outlines the following items which are REQUIRED on or before the first day of class:
- ICHAT State Criminal Background Clearance (within 6 months)
- Urine Drug Test (within 30 days)
- TB Skin Test (within 1 year)
- Hepatitis B Vaccine Refusal Form
- Current CPR BLS certification (within 2 years). Riverview Institute of Oakland University provides this training for a cost of approximately $60.
- PN Riverview Program Health Assessment form. The Health Assessment form must be completed by a physician, with physical exam within one year, and titers report (blood draw to verify immunizations) attached.