Master of Arts in Liberal Studies
Oakland University’s Master of Arts in Liberal Studies (MALS) degree program is a highly challenging, interdisciplinary exploration of the liberal arts, for post-baccalaureate students wishing to broaden their education through rigorous study outside traditional areas of specialization.
MALS students are strongly motivated individuals who help to shape their own course of study though the unique combinations of core and elective courses they choose. Through the MALS program students take advantage of opportunities to present their research in professional and community settings.
The program is designed for students who wish to pursue graduate study on a part-time basis to balance professional and personal responsibilities. The core courses and most elective courses are offered in the evenings, with some elective courses available during the day for students who wish to take a full-time graduate load.
OU’s MALS program will:
- introduce students to fascinating intersections between fields of study.
- offer innovative courses on compelling topics, taught by full-time faculty, highly skilled at both research and teaching.
- provide students opportunities to work closely with their professors, shaping a degree program that challenges them and culminates in a unique interdisciplinary research project.
- integrate graduate coursework with study abroad trips planned by MALS professors. Previous trips included London, Moscow, and Athens.
- provide students multiple perspectives offered by studies in art, film, history, literature, medicine, media studies, politics, sociology, science, religion and philosophy.
- create a vital intellectual community.
- offer flexible schedules for students who seek a variety of evening graduate courses.