2200 N. Squirrel Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4401
Fax: (248) 370-3170
- 10/03/2015 - 2015 Hispanic Heritage Month: College Admission Process & FASFA Aid Workshop
- 10/10/15 - 2015 Hispanic Heritage Month: A Weekend Abroad In Detroit
- 10/12/15 - 2015 Hispanic Heritage Month: Salsa Night
- 10/17/15 - 2015 Hispanic Heritage Month: LA TOMATINA – A Tomato Food Fight
- 10/23/15 - 2015 Hispanic Heritage Month: Ask The Latina | PREGUNTA A UNA LATINA
Department of Modern Languages and Literatures
The department offers various undergraduate degrees in French, German, Japanese and Spanish. Minors are offered in Chinese, French, German, Japanese and Spanish. Courses in Arabic, Hebrew and Italian are also offered.
Students may prepare for careers in teaching in the five-year secondary education teaching and certification program (STEP), elect an elementary teaching major in French, German, Japanese or Spanish, or elect a secondary or elementary teaching minor in Chinese, French, German, Japanese or Spanish. Students may also obtain translation certificates in French, German or Spanish by completing courses numbered 355, 455 and 491. A 491 course does not apply toward the major or minor.
Pair a language major along with a second major in a field such as political science, history, biology or elect a modified major in business, economics or computer science to make yourself more marketable or broaden your horizon with a major in two modern languages, B.A.
Many of our students study abroad in programs offered by or affiliated with Oakland University. The department has a number of exchange programs with partner universities around the world. Visit the International Education website for more information and to begin your journey.