Study Abroad (international)
OU has study-abroad programs that span six continents. All Oakland students can study abroad, and there are programs available in most disciplines. Study abroad as early as the summer semester after your freshman year, and as many times as you would like!
- A comprehensive international education (universities outside of North America)
- Global experience
- One semester or full academic year options plus short term possibilities, including summer programs as short as 10 days or as long as 5 weeks
- Possibility of language immersion
- Courses focused on disciplines (i.e., health sciences, international relations, literature) specific to location
to Study Abroad
1. Create an online account. To begin the study abroad/away process, you must create an account. This is the first step in the application process and gets you into our system so we can assist you.
2. Determine your goals and priorities. What are your academic and personal goals? What resources are you looking for? When will you be able to study abroad/away? How will your study abroad or study away fit into your progress toward your degree?
3. Attend an information session or advising appointment. We’ll help you determine the country, college and program that’s right for you. Meet with a student or staff adviser to learn more about available programs and how to prepare for them. You’ll get answers to your questions, obtain basic information and learn about available resources. Advisers may also connect you to students who want to share their recent study abroad/away experiences.
4. Narrow your search. Based on your specific needs and goals, start to narrow your search by region, semester, course of study or housing arrangements.
5. Meet with your OU academic adviser. Determine how studying abroad/away will fit into your degree program. You will need to develop a multi-year schedule so that you can continue to make progress toward your degree while away.
6. Apply for OU approval to study abroad/away. Submit your preliminary application, start the application process early and plan ahead! Once you've been approved by OU to apply to your program, you'll go on to complete the application for the program you've chosen. Allow plenty of time to complete applications, write essays, gather faculty recommendations and gather course credit approvals. Check application deadlines online.
7. Apply for financial aid. To apply for financial aid, including loans, schedule an appointment with an adviser in OU’s Financial Services office after you've been accepted by your program and determined how much it will cost. Remember, all students can apply for financial aid to study abroad/away.
8. Choose your courses. Meet with academic advisers in the appropriate school or department to set up OU equivalent courses. Advisers will determine whether your study abroad/away classes meet your course and curriculum requirements.
9. Register for OU courses. While studying abroad/away, you are an Oakland University student and you are required to register for your study abroad/away courses at OU. Your academic adviser will create sections of OU courses for you on MySAIL. After registering on MySAIL, please deliver your completed Course Worksheet to the International Education office.
10. Attend the study abroad/away pre-departure orientation. Attend this orientation to gather important information about academics, health and safety, travel and cultural adjustments. You’ll also get to meet other OU students who are preparing to study abroad/away and hear from students who have recently returned.
11. Book your flight! Register with the OU International Travel Registry online and prepare to enjoy the most incredible experience of your life! *If you are studying away, please visit the National Student Exchange (NSE) website for additional requirements.