The ICA and a teaching endorsement are not the same. A teaching endorsement is awarded only to certified teachers. It requires the completion of an approved university course of study, and prepares candidates to teach.
Interdisciplinary Certificate in Autism
The I nterdisciplinary Certificate in Autism ( ICA) is special recognition of advanced interdisciplinary knowledge and experience (cannot be based entirely on college coursework) in the area of Autism/ASD and is an acknowledgement of competencies that the certificate holder possesses. The ICA is awarded by Oakland University and the Michigan Department of Education (MDE) to professionals who have voluntarily advanced their expertise in the area of autism through education and professional experiences.
- Art Therapy
- Behavior Management
- Mental Health
- Music Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Social Work
- Speech-Language Pathology
- A minimum of five years of experience in their professional discipline.
- At least three years of experience working with students/clients having autism.
- Provision of services to multiple students/ clients having autism.
- Completion of at least 100 clock hours of learning activities in autism.*
- Engagement in leadership activity in the area of autism.**
- Successful functioning as a member of an Interdisciplinary Team on behalf of students/ clients having autism.
**Leadership activities can include delivering professional presentations, teaching university courses, conducting research, producing publications, and supervising others working with individuals having autism.
Applicants for the ICA must verify the professional experience, education, and leadership that satisfy the competencies represented by the certificate.