First Year Advising Center
North Foundation Hall, Room 121
318 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4454
(248) 370-3227
Orientation & New Student Programs
North Foundation Hall, Room 105
318 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4454
(248) 370-GOLD


What is a mid-semester evaluation?

Instructors of 100- and 200- level courses provide mid-semester evaluations (MSEs) to students earning below a 2.0 or “U” (unsatisfactory progress) in a course.

The intent is to identify students who are experiencing academic difficulty early in the semester so they can seek assistance to improve their performance before withdrawing from or failing the course. Instructors are able to enter midterm grades in MySAIL from February 6-20, 2015.

Click on the titles below to learn more about mid-semester evaluations and how you can finish the semester strong!

How do I know if I received an unsatisfactory mid-term grade?

Begin checking your mid-term grades on February 6 in MySAIL by following these directions:

  • Place your mouse over "Academics" and select "My Courses and Grades" from the menu that pops up
  • From the "My Courses and Grades" page select "Grades" and the current term "Winter Semester 2015" at the top of the page

I have an MSE ... now what?

There are many campus resources dedicated to helping you get back on track. Don’t delay – take action now!

  • Visit your professor during their office hours (found on the course syllabus) to discuss:
    • Class performance in the course and current course grade
    • Strategies you can use to perform better in the course
    • Strategies for preparing for upcoming tests/assignments 
    • Questions about course content and progress on upcoming assignments
  • If you are a first-year or undecided student, visit us doing our walk-in times. If you prefer to schedule an appointment with your FYAC adviser, call our office at (248) 370-3227.
  • Are you in a course with an SI? Learn how participating in Supplemental Instruction (SI) can help you to see a noticeable difference in your class performance.
  • Receive free assistance from The Writing Center (212 Kresge Library) if you are experiencing trouble in your writing courses.
  • Attend workshops that will help you gain skills to achieve your academic goals. Click here for a list of workshops.

I don't have an MSE ... what should I do?

For a variety of reasons, not all instructors submit mid-semester evaluations. It is important to know how you are doing in all of your courses.  

We strongly encourage you to speak with each of your instructors to discuss your progress to date.  Instructors may be available before/after class, during office hours or by scheduling an appointment.  In these meetings, we suggest asking the following questions:

  • How is my performance in the course?  What grade am I receiving right now?
  • What strategies can I use to perform better in the course?
  • What are the best ways to prepare for the upcoming tests/assignments in the course?

I am thinking about withdrawing from a course. What do I do?

Before withdrawing from a course, it is highly recommended that you know the facts and speak with campus resources.

Understand your options for withdrawing from a course.