1. Will I graduate in 4 years?
2. What major is the best fit for my skills?
3. What are my career options with this major (career counseling)?
4. How do I change my major?
5. What do I need in order to declare major standing?
6. What is the job placement rate for the major I'm in?
7. I have no idea what I'm getting in my classes! How do I calculate my grades?
8. What happens if I withdraw, add, or drop a class?
10. I have an academic, involvement, or career exploratory question and can't think of anyone else to ask.
At this appointment, you will talk about your transition to OU and how you can stay focused on the finish line (graduation) from the very start. If you're still deciding on a major, your adviser will help you explore your options and may suggest further career counseling.
The following will serve as a guide for questions you may want to ask when meeting with your adviser during your fall appointment.
1. Where can I find tutoring on campus?
2. Where can I get help with a writing assignment?
3. What are some ways for me to get involved on campus?
4. How do I find out about student organizations or campus events?
5. What are some upcoming workshops that would benefit me?
6. What is the best way to approach my professor if I have a question?
7. Where do I go to learn more about study abroad?
8. How do I find scholarships?
9. If I’m not sure about my major what can I do?
10. Where can I look for an on campus job?
When: Required appointments can be completed January 21 - March 23, 2015.
What to expect: You will discuss your academic progress and plan your second year courses. If you are undecided, you will also take steps to select a major.
1. Does the schedule I planned for next year keep me on track with my major?
2. How do I take classes at the community college? How do I find classes that transfer?
3. How can I engage in my major over the summer?
4. Should I take summer courses?
5. Where will I go for advising in my second year?
- You can schedule an appointment by visiting the FYAC in 121 North Foundation Hall or by calling (248) 370-3227. Appointments will not be scheduled via email and can only be scheduled by the student.
- When you schedule an appointment, it will appear on your Google calendar which is linked to your OU email account. If you need to change your appointment time, you cannot do so on the Google calendar. Instead, call the FYAC at (248) 370-3227 to reschedule your appointment.
- You will receive an email reminder via your OU email account two business days before your scheduled appointment.
- If you need to cancel your appointment, please call (248) 370-3227 at least 24 hours prior to your appointment.
Late Arrival Policy: If you arrive at the FYAC later than 10 minutes for your appointment, you will be unable to check-in and it will be recorded as a "No Show."
Walk-in appointments have concluded. Please check back in November for additional walk-in times near the withdrawal deadline.