Oakland University is grateful for the exceptional contributions made by the members of our armed services. Our faculty and staff are devoted to providing an environment that helps veterans, service members and family members achieve their academic and personal goals.
As an OU student, you'll receive priority registration, in-state tuition, support services and special recognition upon graduation.
How to apply to OU
- Create an Admissions login and record your login and PIN so you can check your application status.
- Complete the online application. When selecting the application type choose freshman, transfer or the option that best describes you. If you have ever attended a college or university, including the Community College of the Air Force, you should apply as a transfer student. If you have never attended a college or university, you should apply as a freshman student.
- Have your official college transcript(s), including military transcripts, mailed to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions (the AARTS and SMART Transcripts have been combined into the Joint Services Transcript, and can be accessed at jst.doded.mil). Official transcripts must bear the seal of the institution and must not be stamped "issued to student." If you have attended more than one college or university, transcripts from each must be provided. If admitted, your transcripts (including military training) will be evaluated and credit will be granted based on American Council on Education (ACE) recommendations.
Complete the Veterans Online Application (VONAPP) at www.GIBILL.va.gov to apply to use your educational benefits. For more information regarding VA Vocational Rehabilitation, contact the Detroit Regional VA Office at 800-827-1000.
Check your admissions statusOnce your application materials are received, Undergraduate Admissions will make a decision within 8-12 weeks. If applying less than four weeks before your intended term of entry, we will prioritize your application and make a decision as soon as possible. The decision will be to admit, delay or deny.
Admissions decisions are sent by U.S. mail. If you receive a delay decision, you should contact Undergraduate Admissions at (800) OAK-UNIV or (248) 370-3360 to speak with an Admissions Adviser. To check your admissions status, return to the online application system and select “Apply for Admission.” Enter the login and PIN you created when you first applied. You may also request a status check by calling Undergraduate Admissions.
Follow these instructions and download the latest checklist for U.S. military veterans for future reference and more tips and reminders.
Sign up for orientation
Once admitted to Oakland University, you will be invited to attend orientation.
Visit the Veterans Certification Office
Oakland's veteran certification is done within the Office of the Registrar at 101A O'Dowd Hall ( find on map). In this office, you will:
- Submit your DD-214, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) or Letter of Eligibility.
- Receive four free elective credits.
- Sign up for priority registration (you'll be able to register for classes before open registration).
- Certify to utilize VA education benefits.
- Submit plan of study.
- Transfer GI Bill benefits to Oakland University from previous institutions (if applicable).
- Point of contact for students approved for vocational rehabilitation (Chapter 31).
Consider your financial plans
- Complete the FAFSA online at fafsa.ed.gov to be considered for federal, state and/or need-based financial aid.
- To maximize your financial aid award package, complete the FAFSA as soon as possible beginning January 1 for the upcoming school year.
- Include Oakland University's federal code of 002307 on your FAFSA.