ESL Institute/Department of Linguistics

O'Dowd Hall, Room 326
586 Pioneer Drive
Rochester , MI 48309-4482
(location map)
Phone: (248) 364-8803
Fax: (248) 370-3587

How to Apply

How to Apply to the ESL Institute

Applicants may apply with a paper application (links below). The materials necessary for application will depend upon the current status of the applicant in the U.S. Please read the following instructions carefully to make sure that all required information is submitted.

International Students with an F-1 Visa

For all international students who need an F-1 visa or who are transferring from another university in the U.S. need the following documentation:

1.  Application (If link does not work, email for an application)

  • Complete visa application
  • Must submit Statement of Finance
  • Notarized certified bank statement
    • All Visa Application/Statement of Finance forms must be accompanied by a notarized financial statement
    • Must be in U.S. dollars
  • Affidavit of Support (if sponsor other than self)

2.  Passport with photo

3.  Medical insurance or copy of current policy (in English)

  • Health insurance is mandatory.
  • F-1 international students are required purchase the University-sponsored health insurance plan, UnitedHealthcare (UHC) Student Resources. 
4.  Transcripts 
  • Please have your official transcript(s) mailed to the ESL Institute from each school you have attended.
  • The transcript must bear the seal of the institution and must not be stamped "issued to student."
  • If you have attended an institution outside of the U.S. you must submit a course-by-course evaluation of all transcripts from either World Education Services or Educational Credential Evaluators. The required minimum U.S. equivalent GPA is a 2.5 or higher. Note that Oakland University cannot issue an I-20 or DS-2019 until your previous school has released your SEVIS record.

Additional forms for F-1 visa holders

If dependents will be accompanying the new student:

If transferring from another institution in the United States, international students need the following additional forms 

Additional Forms (may be needed depending on student's status):

International Students (other than F-1 or B-2)

Applicants who are currently in the U.S. who do not need an F-1 visa (and who have a visa other than a B2) need the following documentation. (This includes U.S. citizens, permanent residents or green card holders.)

1.  Application (page one only)

2.  Copy of visa status/passport, I-94 and visa or all documents related to visa status.

Mail or fax completed and signed original application with required documents to:

Kathleen Gnau
ESL Program Assistant 
ESL Institute
O'Dowd Hall Room 326
586 Pioneer Drive
Rochester, MI 48309
Fax: 248.370.3587

For questions, you may call: 248.364.8803 or email