Booktalks and Displays
September, 2016 - NOW ON DISPLAY IN THE ERL
Banned Books! - Please visit and browse the plentiful display of banned books atop our Tradebook Examination Area. September 25-October 1, 2016 is Banned Books Week. Review books that have been pulled from shelves or banned from libraries and classrooms. Research why, see if you agree. What will you tell your parents & students when they question you about a book's contents?
2016 Award Winning Books As you enter the ERL, the table along the window features a selection of Award Winning Literature from 2016.
- April 2016 - Poetry is a Part of Everything!
- February, 2016 - Chapter Books/series for Early Readers is the main display above our Tradebook area which highlights the many series that are available in the ERL and local libraries for our young readers. Bibliography
- January, 2016 - As you enter the ERL stop by and browse the selection of USBBY books.
- November, 2015 - Our display atop the Tradebook area featured a selection of books highlighting the topic of Giving Thanks.
- October, 2015 October is Family History Month - Our main display featured a selection of books highlighting Family History Month. Bibliography
- October, 2015 - Our entrance display featured a 'Read-Stricted' display along with free bookmarks for Banned Book Week!
- September, 2015 Seeking Refuge - Our main display featured books about refugees, the history and their stories.
- May, 2015 Mighty Girls - Our main display featured books about strong, creative, and resourceful women and girls. Bibliography
- April, 2015 April as National Poetry Month! - our main display features a variety of books containing poetry for youth.
- January/February, 2015 - African American Creativity & Culture - An excellent display of books to celebrate the month of January.
- December 2014 - Dystopian Science Fiction - I want more books "like Hunger Games"! This comment inspired ERL Coordinator Barb Campbell to create a display of many ERL books that fall under this Dystopian science fiction genre. Bibliography
- November, 2014 - "Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." - This quote by the Dalai Lama inspired a display of books upon our Tradebook Examination Area that are all about kindness. Let this display inspire your next lesson! Bibliography
- October, 2014 - Vampires! Books to Sink your Teeth Into - Tis the season for goblins, ghouls and VAMPIRES! Bibliography
- Animals on the Move - This is the time of the year that many animals begin their migration pattern. As you enter the ERL, browse the great selection of books and puppets to bring your lessons alive!
- October, 2014 - It's a Pink Out! - Colorful pink books for October (Breast Cancer Awareness Month)
- September, 2014 - Banned Books Week Bibliography
- August, 2014 - Have you read a good movie lately? Books to Movies Bibliography
- Spring 2014 - 2014 American Library Association Youth Media Award Winning Books
- December 2013 - Names and Naming - What's in a Name? Identity, Individuality and the Importance of Names
- July 2013 - RDG570 2013 Schedule of Authors/Illustrators
- March 2013 - Women's History Month
- January 2013 - African American History Month
- November 2012 - Native American Heritage Month
- September 2012 - Hispanic American Heritage Month
- March 2012 - Books for Youth on Judaism, Christianity and Islam - bibliography (pdf)
- February 2012 - African American History Month
- Children's Tradebook Examination Center featured - November 2011 - list of Tradebook Examination Center publishers (pdf)
- Bullying and Teasing Display - bibliography (pdf) - October 2011
- First Day of School for Kids and Teachers- Fall 2011
- Authors and Illustrators Art and Craft (RDG570) - June & July, 2011
- Gay Pride Month - June 2011 - a display of books and resources for Gay Pride Month -- bibliography (pdf)
- It's Vacation Time! - May 2011
- A Shower of Poems for April - 2011 (PDF flyer for bibliography)
- SEHS Poetry Reading (YouTube Video)
- Making a Difference: The Fight for Civil Rights - March 2011 ERL display (PDF flyer for bibliography)
- China Workshop - an Introduction to Chinese Language and Culture - March, 2011 event (PDF information flyer)
- ERL Korean Celebration - Tuesday, October 26, 2010 (PDF flyer)
- October 2010 Banned Books Week Display
- 2010 Summer Reading Display: Books that Empower Children as Writers and Artists (PDF flyer)
- The Diversity of Hispanic Culture Exhibit - Wednesday, November 11, 2009 (PDF flyer)
- Pakistan Exhibit - October 2009
- China: An Introduction to Chinese Language and Culture - March, 2009
- The Children's Tradebook Examination Center, founded by Dr. Jane Bingham, is comprised of current children's books supplied by publishers and arranged alphabetically by publisher. As a new year begins, books from the previous year are integrated into the general collection.
- November 10, 2015 - Seeing Yourself in the Book: Supporting Text-to-self Connections. (Video) (Bibliography)
- May 18, 2015 - Mighty Girls - A look at a display of books about strong, creative and resourceful women and girls. (Video) (Bibliography)
- February 17, 2015 - Suggestions for sharing informational texts of books that use the compare-contrast method. (Video) (Bibliography)