SUPER Program Activities
SUPER Program Activities
2015 Summer Undergraduate Program in Eye Research (SUPER)
SUPER 2015 Program Activities
- In this 12-week independent laboratory research project, participants are matched with laboratories based on their interest and availability.
- One-on-one meetings are held with faculty mentors at the beginning of the program for students to discuss their planned projects.
- There are weekly coffee breaks with ERI faculty, postdoctoral fellows, research associates and staff, which include snacks and discussion.
- Lectures by ERI researchers and clinical faculty from William Beaumont Hospital introduce current concepts in eye research, vision science and ophthalmology.
- Alumni-sponsored lunch at a local restaurant.
- Summer picnic and BBQ at a local park. Volleyball tournament vs. ERI faculty.
- End-of-program symposium for students to present results of their research, including an awards ceremony and buffet lunch.
Tuesdays at NOON in 403 Dodge Hall of Engineering. Brown-bag (bring lunch).
Ocular development, anatomy and Glaucoma
Kenneth Mitton, PhD., Shravan Chinta, PhD.
The State of Scientific Research: The Good, the Bad, and the...
Barry Winkler, PhD.
Medical Training & Ophthalmology in Brazil
|Roberto Schunemann, MD, retinal surgeon & ARC-ERi Clinical Research Fellow|
The lens and cataract
Frank Giblin, PhD (Director ERI).
Ocular Trauma / Medical Outreach
Lori Stec, MD (Beaumont Ophthalmology)
Retinal interneurons and their circuits
Dao-Qi Zhang, PhD.
All singing, all dancing, all the time (Communication)
Andrew Goldberg, PhD.
Lasik and cataract
John Hart, MD (Beaumont Ophthalmology)
Clinical treatment of retinal disease
Kimberly Drenser, MD, PhD (Beaumont, ERI)
2014 Student Symposium
The Student Symposium was held Friday, August 1, 2014, from 9:30 a.m. to noon in Room 302 Pawley Hall.
Welcome and introductory remarks by Dr. Frank J. Giblin, director
|Erin Feeney - "The Impact of Norrin on the Structural Integrity of the Ischemic Retina."|
|Mason Geno & Nahrain Putris - "The Effects of UVB light and Hyperbaric Oxygen on the PAR/PARP complex in Human Lens Epithelial Cells"|
|Kirsten Laux - "Systemic VPA can inhibit or accelerate photoreceptor loss in retinal degenerative mice with different mutations of the Pde6b gene."|
|Brandon Metcalf - "A Longitudinal In Vivo Model for Studying the Chronic Effects of VEGF on the Retina"|
|Nathan Spix - "Effects of Melatonin and Infrared Light on Mouse Retinal Ganglion Cell Activity"|
|11:15 a.m.||Jermyn Yohannan - "Association of Peripherin/rds C-terminus with Model Membranes"|
|11:30 a.m.||Presentation of Certificates - Dr. Kenneth P. Mitton, S.U.P.E.R. Coordinator|
Tour of the ERI