SUPER Program Activities
SUPER Program Activities
2015 Summer Undergraduate Program in Eye Research (SUPER)
SUPER 2015 Program Activities
- In this 12-week independent laboratory research project, participants are matched with laboratories based on their interest and availability.
- One-on-one meetings are held with faculty mentors at the beginning of the program for students to discuss their planned projects.
- There are weekly coffee breaks with ERI faculty, postdoctoral fellows, research associates and staff, which include snacks and discussion.
- Lectures by ERI researchers and clinical faculty from William Beaumont Hospital introduce current concepts in eye research, vision science and ophthalmology.
- Alumni-sponsored lunch at a local restaurant.
- Summer picnic and BBQ at a local park. Volleyball tournament vs. ERI faculty.
- End-of-program symposium for students to present results of their research, including an awards ceremony and buffet lunch.
Tuesdays at NOON unless otherwise indicated in 403 Dodge Hall of Engineering. Brown-bag (bring lunch).
Ocular Trauma / Medical Outreach
Lori Stec, MD
|Ocular Anatomy, Function and Disease||Kenneth Mitton, PhD|
|The lens and cataract||Frank Giblin, PhD (Director ERI)|
|Glaucoma, Ganglion Cell Death||Shravan Chintala, PhD|
|Retinal interneurons and their circuits||Dao-Qi Zhang, PhD|
|Unexpected Experimental Results: Woe or Joy||Barry Winkler, PhD|
Medical Training - India/US
|Shikpa Tantineni (PRRL, visiting M3-M4)|
|June 30||Lasik and cataract.|
John Hart, MD (Beaumont Ophthalmology)
Vitreoretinal Disease Treatment
|Kimberly Drenser, MD PhD (Beaumont, ERI)|
All singing, all dancing, all the time (Communication)
|Andrew Goldberg, PhD|
Ethical Practice in Biomedical Research
|Kenneth Mitton, PhD|
2014 Student Symposium
The Student Symposium was held Friday, August 1, 2014, from 9:30 a.m. to noon in Room 302 Pawley Hall.
Welcome and introductory remarks by Dr. Frank J. Giblin, director
|Erin Feeney - "The Impact of Norrin on the Structural Integrity of the Ischemic Retina."|
|Mason Geno & Nahrain Putris - "The Effects of UVB light and Hyperbaric Oxygen on the PAR/PARP complex in Human Lens Epithelial Cells"|
|Kirsten Laux - "Systemic VPA can inhibit or accelerate photoreceptor loss in retinal degenerative mice with different mutations of the Pde6b gene."|
|Brandon Metcalf - "A Longitudinal In Vivo Model for Studying the Chronic Effects of VEGF on the Retina"|
|Nathan Spix - "Effects of Melatonin and Infrared Light on Mouse Retinal Ganglion Cell Activity"|
|11:15 a.m.||Jermyn Yohannan - "Association of Peripherin/rds C-terminus with Model Membranes"|
|11:30 a.m.||Presentation of Certificates - Dr. Kenneth P. Mitton, S.U.P.E.R. Coordinator|
Tour of the ERI