- Learn about orientation
- See what courses transfer
- Make a waitlist request
- Request an override
- Check SBA prerequisites
- Transfer Student Videos
- Audit my degree and graduation requirements
- Sample four-year plans
- SBA Undergraduate catalog
OU business students share how the business faculty and programs such as ACHIEVE, Scholars, internships, and student orgs help them succeed. Watch it now!
During your time at Oakland, you may find you will need to interact with an adviser for many different reasons. Our academic advisers can:
- help you prepare for and plan your academic career
- provide you with educational and career counseling
- empower you with relevant and vital information regarding your degree program opportunities
- help you become more involved at OU and learn about different student support services
- help you reach your full potential as you pursue your educational and career goals
Open Advising Dates
Newly admitted transfer students must attend Orientation. Please complete the web Transfer Orientation process at: https://wwwp.oakland.edu/fyac/orientation/tso/.ABOUT OPEN ADVISING: Open advising is intended for single semester and urgent issues only for current business majors or those students who might want to change their major to business. Prospective students please call 248-370-3285 for assistance.
- Please remember to come 30 minutes early to reserve your spot. Advising ends when we reach capacity
- Sign-in begins a half hour before the start time and ends when we reach capacity. Please be aware that open advising time involves waiting. Bring something to work on and arrive early; sign-in is first come, first served.
- When you arrive early, you improve you chance of seeing an adviser.
If you need an advising appointment for something other than simple questions or something that cannot be handled during Open Advising, please make an academic advising appointment using Advisor Trac. You will need your OU Email name, or "Net ID" and email password to log on.
Evening appointments can be scheduled for 5:00 - 6:30 pm for the following dates by calling 248-370-3285 - Thursday, Feb 4, Thursday, Feb 18, Thursday, Mar 3, Thursday, Mar 10, Wednesday, Mar 16, Thursday, Mar 24, Thursday, Mar 31.
Jan 29 - Last day to apply for degree/certificates for winter 2016
Feb 20 - Winter recess begins 10:00pm
Feb 29 - Classes resume 7:30am
Mar 15 - Last day for official withdrawal
Macomb University Center Advising
Advising is now available in Macomb County twice monthly, on Wednesdays. To make an appointment:
- Click on "SCHEDULE an advising appointment" at the top of the right hand panel of this page;
- Call (586) 263-6242; or
- E-mail Debra Wheeler at email@example.com.
Prospective students should visit the OU undergraduate admissions website for information on how to apply. Please apply online for free at www.oakland.edu/go to begin the process of evaluating your transcripts.
Prospective, unadmitted business students are invited to make inquiries at firstname.lastname@example.org. Students may also want to meet with an SBA academic adviser by calling the advising office at 248-370-3285.
Note: We are glad to assist you with academic advising regarding our business program as appointments are available through February 19th. Prospective appointments will become available again in April after the upcoming Full Year Registration period has ended.
Newly Admitted Students
Newly admitted transfer students are asked to attend a group transfer orientation before meeting with an SBA adviser. Please make sure to complete your Part 1 and Part 2 orientation. Part 1 is online, and part 2 involves scheduling and attending an on-campus orientation visit. The orientation visits are very important and will give you valuable information about Oakland University, registering for classes, and our SBA Program procedures and requirements. You will meet with an academic adviser at the orientation who will help you prepare for your first semester and assist you as needed scheduling your classes.
If you are a transfer student and are admitted after group orientations have ended, make sure to visit our website and view the transfer student orientation video before coming to an advising appointment. Please visit the transfer student videos link for more information.
- Degree Checklist for BS BA 2015-2016 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS BA 2014-2015 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS BA 2013-2014 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS BA 2012-2013 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS BA 2011-2012 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS BA 2010-2011 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS BA 2009-2010 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS BA 2008-2009 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS BA 2007-2008 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS BA 2006-2007 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS BA 2005-2006 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS Actuarial Sciences 2014-2015 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS Actuarial Sciences 2015-2016 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS Economics 2015-2016 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS Economics 2014-2015 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS Economics 2013-2014 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS Economics 2012-2013 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS Economics 2011-2012 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS Economics 2010-2011 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS Economics 2009-2010 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS Economics 2008-2009 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS Economics 2007-2008 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS Economics 2006-2007 (PDF)
- Degree Checklist for BS Economics 2005-2006 (PDF)
Students can fill out a guest application for another school if wishing to take courses for just one semester.
Requirements for admission to “major standing” are:
- Successful completion of the writing requirement, WRT160, the ACHIEVE courses, SBC 199, SBC 299, and the business pre-core courses (a minimum grade of 2.0 in each course and its prerequisite if any)
- A cumulative OU grade point average of 2.6 or higher for six credits or more
- Submission of the “Application for Major Standing” Form to the Undergraduate Business Programs Advising Office, 232 Elliott Hall. Students should apply for admission to a business major prior to the last day of finals for the term in which all requirements will be completed. An application submitted in a subsequent semester will be accepted and processed for the term in which it was received.
- Link Error: A2 Required: You are not signed up for all components of the course (i.e. lab and lecture). NO OVERRIDES GRANTED. Register for both components.
- Prerequisite and Test Score error: You have not met the prerequisites. REQUEST AN OVERRIDE if restriction is inaccurate.
- Field of Study Restriction - Major: You are not in Major Standing or a Pre-business student. REQUEST AN OVERRIDE if restriction is inaccurate.
- TIME CONFLICT WITH _____: Students may not register for courses with overlapping times. NO OVERRIDES GRANTED. Pick a new section.
- Repeat count exceeds 0: You have already attempted this course three times. If it is your 4th attempt, you must submit a petition to take the course a 4th time and see an adviser.
- CLOSED SECTION-X: No seats are available in the course. NO OVERRIDES GRANTED. Add to wait list or contact instructor.
To request an override, sign in to the SBA Undergraduate Student Portal with your OU email name and password. Click on the Reg Override tab on the left-hand side of the page and fill out the required information.
If you are unable to find an answer to your error in the list above, please make an appointment with an adviser by signing in to the SBA Advisor Trac with your OU email name and password.
I have academic credit earned from a four year institution – OU will accept an unlimited number of transfer credits from regionally accredited four-year institutions. Some exceptions to this policy include certain physical education courses and religion courses offered by religiously affiliated post-secondary institutions. Your transfer transcript will be evaluated on a course by course basis for equivalent credit for any OU and/or SBA program requirement/s. Credit for specific SBA courses is authorized for courses of similar content taken prior to attending Oakland University at other institutions. Once admitted to the business program, students must complete all remaining core, major and business minor coursework for the degree at OU. Students may be required to submit course descriptions or course syllabi to aid in course evaluation.
Why would I need a syllabus for a course I took at another school? When a student with prior college experience is admitted to OU, each transferred course will be evaluated for possible equivalent credit to an OU/SBA course requirement by a faculty evaluator. If the school was not AACSB accredited students may be asked to provide a course syllabus to aid in the determination of equivalent content.
Students can request an extension of "I" grades. This extension must be student-initiated and requires approval by the instructor and the dean of the school or college or other appropriate administrator. If course requirements are not completed within one year and no semester has been registered for, the "I" grade will be changed to "0.0."
Director of Advising Services
Academic Advising Assistant
Accounting Major and minor advisor
General Management Major advisor
Finance Major advisor
Human Resource Management Major advisor
Operations Management & Management Information Systems major and minor, QMM minor advisor
Economics Major advisor
Explore Business Careers
- Learn about career paths within the major
- Discover hard and soft skills needed for success
- Understand projected job growth and trends in the field
- Get a FREE meal
Each event takes place 5-6:30 p.m.
See schedule below for specifics.
Thursday, February 4, 2016
Management Information Systems and Operations Management
224 Elliott Hall
Tuesday, February 9, 2016
Accounting and Finance
Banquet Room B, OC
Thursday, February 11, 2016
Management, Marketing and HR Management
Oakland Room, OC
Wednesday, February 17, 2016
Actuarial Science and Economics
224 Elliott Hall
Don't forget to reserve your spot.