The positions of student liaisons to the Board of Trustees were created by the Board on December 1, 1994, and amended on April 2, 1998.
- attend all scheduled public meetings of the Board
- serve for a two-year appointment, beginning in July each year
- provide a cross-section of student views and opinions
- make periodic reports regarding Board activities to student groups
- participate in an orientation program
Student liaison positions are open to all Oakland University students who:
- are in good academic standing (2.5 G.P.A. or higher)
- have earned a minimum of 56 credits, of which 28 are at Oakland University
- have agreed not to hold other elected or appointed leadership positions during the student liaison appointment period
- have a record of service to the campus or community
- have no record of disciplinary action at Oakland University or another university
Students who qualify and are interested in becoming a student liaison should complete the Student Liaison to the Board of Trustees Application. Applications for 2016-17 are due March 31, 2016.
The vice president for student affairs appoints a screening committee comprised of two students, including a University Student Congress representative selected by the Congress, one staff and one faculty member, to recommend at least five names of students (from applications and nominations) to the president for the appointment of two student liaisons